TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I wasn’t pleased with the setup in the rear sway bar, but I didn’t say anything. :mad:

Well now I’m going to say some things!! :ztoohot:

Here’s my “problems” with the ADDCO front and rear 1 3/8 sway bars:

Rear
1. If installed as directed in the instructions the bushing gets crushed. With the bracket bent as appropriate and everything bolted together loosely, there is a good 1/8” gap between the bracket and the frame. If you tighten this down to where it is torqued to spec, the bushing is “squished” out on both sides of the bracket and definitely not going to last (let alone the fact that the bar is way too tight in the bushing). My solution (right or wrong) was to install a 1/8” spacer between the bracket (where the bolt goes through) and the frame. The bar is tight, but the bushing isn’t crushed.

2. The powder coating flakes off badly. With the way it flakes off, I’m not sure is there was something wrong in the plating or what, but a “tap” with anything will pop off a dime sized chunk of coating. Even just laying it on the ground will leave little dimes sized chunks of black coating.

Front
1. Same problem as the rear: the bushing is crushed when everything is installed as directed. When the bracket is placed over the poly bushing, the bushing extends below the bracket tabs by, again, about 1/8”. I originally installed 1/8” spacer and everything fit beautifully! But nobody else had mentioned this on here, so I removed them and installed the bar like the instructions. And now the bushing is nice and squished.

2. The collar does not fit completely around the bar. It may be the thickness of the coating, but there is about a 1/16” gap between the ends of the collar where the bolts go through. It will work, but I would rather see them a little closer together.

3. Frame to bar contact. I finally got everything bolted back up and it really looks like the bar will hit the frame when the suspension is in full compression. I can’t say for sure since I don’t have everything completely installed, but it’s real close if you rotate the bar upwards. (see the photo)

4. And finally, just like the rear bar, the powder coating flakes off badly. With the way it flakes off, I’m not sure is there was something wrong in the plating or what, but a “tap” with anything will pop off a dime sized chunk of coating. Even just laying it on the ground will leave little dimes sized chunks of black coating.

I’m just wondering if anyone else has had these issues with the ADDCO 1 3/8 way bars, and if so, what have your solutions been? Or am I just being too picky and expecting the bushings not to be crushed?

Sorry for the ranting, but after installing the cross member (which was really not fun!) and seeing the possibility of frame contact I went a little ballistic. As it is now, I’m going to drop the cross member again and figure some way to install the bar without the spacers (which I’m assuming are there to provide clearance for the collar). (Or I’ll grind a little clearance on the frame) :mad:

Ok, I’ll get off my soapbox and shut up. :D

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
I normally grind the collars a bit to aid in the clearance issue and yes the powdercoating job sucks. You forgot to mention the fact the the A/C compressors bolt head is far too close to the bar. Some things you have to adjust on your own and that is just how it goes doing anything non-Stock so get over it Frances. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Addco fit and finish has always been not so fantastic ... you get what you pay for. That's why I still have the stock front bar on my 95 SC, and a rear bar from an 89 SC.

cheers,
Ed N.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Mine didn't come coated, the powder coating I had put on them sticks fine though. It only came off when I really beat on it with the collar. I had to do some clearancing to the area right above the sway bar. I had to reform the brackets to make them fit well over the bushings. Some bending was definitely involved.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!! :thumbsup:

It make me feel better that it's not just me! :leftright

Man, I'm not looking forward to dropping that cross member again. :beek:

But at least everything isn't bolted up to it yet and it's only 8 bolts. :D

I'm never going to get this thing back on the road. :bawling:

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
Mine didn't come coated
Neither did my 1.25" front bar, it has some sort of gold colored finish. But after hearing about ADDCO's less than spectacular powdercoating job, I'm not complaining.

-Rod

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yep, sounds like they saved me the trouble of sandblasting off their crappy finish. The powdercoating place just coated over the zinc plating and it stuck just fine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
IMO, 1-3/8 bars are too much bar for these cars, especially on the street. That's just overkill.

Fast Ed - I also run an early SC front 1.25" bar with hard poly bushings, but I have a small 1-1/8 ADDCO rear bar (with that gold coated crapola, I picked it up used for very cheap). On race tires, there is not much noticeable body roll with these two bars. It is very predictable and easy to drive on track.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my previous rant, I mentioned that spacers were needed to provide enough clearance for the collar. I’ve thought of a possible solution and wanted to get your opinions on it. The main part that I don’t know is just exactly how much side force is on the collar.

Anyway, here is what I plan on fabricating. It will allow the spacers to be removed, which will give more clearance for the frame. The question is: will the "1/2" ADDCO collar provide enough lateral support to keep the bar from moving left and right? I don't know the forces that it's supposed to stop. :2huh:

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i hate to say this, but sometimes oe parts are just better. depending on the part of course !

·
Registered
252 Posts
jk89cat said:
i hate to say this, but sometimes oe parts are just better. depending on the part of course !
Sometimes? It really is most of the time. Aftermarket parts suppliers make absolute JUNK about 90% of the time. It is sad, but OEMs have mugh higher standards for material, durability and validation, packaging, fit, etc. ADDCO is just another example.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jk89cat said:
I agree, and I'll go OEM about 90% of the time (price permitting). :D

But in this case, the OEM "collar" is cast into the OEM sway bar. So I'm left with using the ADDCO collar/spacers, etc.... or doing "something else". :beek:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, dropping the cross member wasn't all that bad. But I was replacing EVERYTHING so I could just unbolt everything and give it a chuck!. :D

I bought one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36092

And it made life a lot easier. :thumbsup:

And I had gathered up all the necessary "special" sockets so I had all the tools. The ones for the cross member itself are not available in the normal parts houses, so I picked one up from Snap-On ($$).

The other part was trying to lower the assembly with just one large floor jack. Not one of my best plans, but it is possible. But reinstalling the thing is a PITA. I just bought a couple of cheap ($17) 2-ton jacks so I can lift it from both sides instead of trying to balance it in the middle. :leftright

Keep in mind that this is a southern car and has never seen road salt. So with a quick blast of BP Blaster, every bolt came apart with no problem. (Your results may vary) :D

·
8,239 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Keep in mind that this is a southern car and has never seen road salt. So with a quick blast of BP Blaster, every bolt came apart with no problem. (Your results may vary) :D [/B]
Ditto here. We hibernate six months out of the year up here.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Harbor Freight has great prices but their standard shipping is slow as hell. Pay the extra for faster shipping unless you can wait 2 to 3 weeks for your order to arrive. I placed my order on 6/25 for a bunch of stuff and it just arrived yesterday.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
There's a Harbor Freight store right by my house :D I love it! Pretty much everything you could ever need, and CHEAP too.

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts

I can understand the ranting since I have installed my share of Addco bars (Large and small) and have felt the pain on each. I feel even though they are a pita to install it's a nice upgrade for those that want a tight ride and are willing to deal with the issue's of riding on rails. It's not for everyone so if you like the Body roll of a stock ride then keep it stock.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
94 Daily Driven - If you want to take a look at my car with ADDCO 1 1/4 front and rear bars installed by Dr. Frankencougie himself, let me know. We can meet up in Hunstville.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts