TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Road Race Addict
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is the front sway bar to replace. I didn't get a real good look while I was under there this weekend cause I was focused on what I was doing.

Is it do-able w/o a hoist?

·
The Parts Guy
7,305 Posts
If the engine is out, it's a piece of cake. With the engine installed, you'll have to lower the K-member a bit to swap out the sway bar (read: pretty involved).

-Rod

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
From the posts I've seen around here most people think the front swaybar swap is more trouble than it's worth.

Personally, I swapped the rear one for a 1 1/4" bar and left the stock one in front. I'm very pleased with the balanced feel.

·
Road Race Addict
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats nto too bad, I will be doing all my other suspension stuff this week end (with a hoist) so I just ordered the 1-3/8 bar from summit and I will do it all in one shot with a tech here at work this weekend

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I installed one last summer. It isn't too bad, just pay very close attention to lowering the K-Member and getting it back in place where it belongs. Best way to do that is to lower it only as far as is absolutely necessary.

It took me longer to get that d*^&med tie down plate cut out than anything else.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I lowered the K-member down pretty far because I got tired of wrestling with the bar in limited room. I didn't have any trouble lining the K-member back up. It is a pretty involved job though...time wise.

Russell

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The sway bar isn't coming out (with the engine in) unless that plate is cut out. And once the car has left the factory it doesn't serve any purpose, unless you're going to be trailering the car a lot.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I just suspended the engine and completely removed the cross member. Made everything a piece of cake (and it gives you an opportunity to drop your oil pan and inspect the bottom of the engine).

Only 8 star head bolts hold the whole thing in and once it is out of the way you have lots and lots of room. Finding the correct star socket can be fun...)

Reinstalling it is simple as long as you use the 3/4" holes to keep it aligned.

As long as you suspension nuts/bolts aren't real rusted up, it is a time consuming job, but nothing all that "difficult".

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts