TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking into ways to add a turbo to one of my sc's. how do you guys and galls think would be the best way. turbo feeding the blower, blower feeding the turbo, or in a parell ( both feeding the intack). love the low end of the blower but want the high end of the turbo. just looking for ideas on the best way to make this work for the best all around power.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
i have been looking into ways to add a turbo to one of my sc's. how do you guys and galls think would be the best way. turbo feeding the blower, blower feeding the turbo, or in a parell ( both feeding the intack). love the low end of the blower but want the high end of the turbo. just looking for ideas on the best way to make this work for the best all around power.
blower feedind the turbo.. you dont want all that hot air going back into the blower if you do it the other way...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it would have to go through the intercooler first befor it fed the blower. then be cool agen after. i think the same the other way too to heep thing cool

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
it would have to go through the intercooler first befor it fed the blower. then be cool agen after. i think the same the other way too to heep thing cool
aye.. i guess your right..sorry for the useless post:(.. my brains not working right today..(too much $#!+ going on). ill shut up before i get kicked in the face by a mod..

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
have the turbo feed the blower.. seems like it would get the air there faster.. :confused:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have the turbo feed the blower.. seems like it would get the air there faster.. :confused:
what im worried about that is when the turbo realy comes on the blower won't keep up. that why i was thinking about the parell setup. let both blow into the intercooler.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
what im worried about that is when the turbo realy comes on the blower won't keep up. that why i was thinking about the parell setup. let both blow into the intercooler.
bigger pulley and a little more cowbell! lmao. if you did put a bigger pulley on it wouldnt that help?. and if you got them both to work together instead of one feeding the other (at least i think thats what you mean.. again i could be wrong) how would you get them both to feed into the intake?

**edit** i read that wrong... so your saying let them both pull air thru the i/c and let the blower push it all in? :confused:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Why don't you just get a better blower?

Besides too much boost without bulletproofing your motor = FAIL

And if you have a true Anniversary SC why would you want to destroy it?

Is this for real or are you just trying to start crap? :confused:

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Turbo wouldn't decrease stress on the motor that much, but it would free up the HP needed to spin the Eaton.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
removing the blower will ease the stress off of the harmonic balancer and crank. If the turbo is sized correctly you woulnt need the blower. Theres a few sc turbo builds going on right now. if you twin turbo the car you could size the turbos for optimum performance yet the cost and fabrication goes up. are you looking for a full out build or a budget kit?

As for the twin charging idea it gets expensive not to mention you will have to build on stout motor to handle the potential as when you you twin charge you dont add boost you multipy boost. And if you wanted to go that way you could still just ditch the blower for a compound turbo setup (turbo feeding the other turbo)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i now the sc block will hold 25 psi and usely good for around 450 hp. i have a motor i bulding with ported heads. and want something a little difrent. makeing the parts is not so big of a deal. have seral friends that build turbo kits and i get a lot s*** for the blower. so i was thinking adding or just going turbo one one of the SC's. probly build it on the 35th or i could do the 90 auto but i would have to trow the extra 5 speed in there as i don't think the AOD will take the power. i seam to blow them up. if i pop a motor i have a few spares i keep around. i want to push 25 psi and dont want to spend the 1500 for the mpx and od pulles. probly need to just go turbo but i like the idea a having the blower too. i can make most of the parts and trade paint work for most of the turbo stuff need.:D i just have to come up with the idea i want and lay it out. the SC is just feeling slow compaired to the turboed cars.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I know what your talking about doing. I would have the supercharger feed the turbo, heres why. If you hooked them up to where they fed in parallel (each having their own piping into the intercooler.) The eaton build boost almost instantly off the line where the turbo has to spool. You would have a problem with the supercharger stalling the turbo and the turbo would never spool.

If you hooked the supercharger to feed the turbo, you could run a massive turbo (holset comes to mind) and see almost instant boost because the pressure from the sc makes the turbo want to spool. This spools it from the hot AND cold sides. The sc spinning the turbo so quickly at first would also create a vacuume inside the exhaust manifolds sucking the exhaust out helping the engine rev even faster.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know what your talking about doing. I would have the supercharger feed the turbo, heres why. If you hooked them up to where they fed in parallel (each having their own piping into the intercooler.) The eaton build boost almost instantly off the line where the turbo has to spool. You would have a problem with the supercharger stalling the turbo and the turbo would never spool.

If you hooked the supercharger to feed the turbo, you could run a massive turbo (holset comes to mind) and see almost instant boost because the pressure from the sc makes the turbo want to spool. This spools it from the hot AND cold sides. The sc spinning the turbo so quickly at first would also create a vacuume inside the exhaust manifolds sucking the exhaust out helping the engine rev even faster.
will the blower keep up when the turbo realy starts spooling up? i will be runing a 95 case with 10% pully

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

sorry but you do NOT want to do that. The blower is fixed to engine speed the turbo free spins. even with the wastegate pinned open the blower will over speed the turbo resulting in blowing up the turbo like a grenade. There also will be no vaccum created by the turbine. There will be back pressure due to the quick build up of pressure due to the blower.

You will have to feed the blower with the turbo. its called twin charging. big rigs back in the 60s used twin charging on diesel motors they would feed the blower with the turbo. there is a GM 3.8 with a T4 feeding a M112 over on theturbo forums. its a nice setup real pretty and runs great.

The blower will still spool the turbo quicker (by sucking air thru the turbo faster and high exhaust volume at low rpms due to the blower will help a big turbo spool up quick. You want the turbo before the blower. With the sc setup theres a few good things going on. first it has a eaton with a fmic from factory. the turbo can feed the blower then have a bypass valve that will open around say 8psi to bypass the blower(by now the turbo is spooled and can take over the blower will just be in the way and be ineffecient. The turbo will now act as one and rely on the wastegate before the turbine to keep it from over boosting. Bov will also go after the turbo before the throttle. Then replace the intercooler with a morte efecient one air to air or air to water.

·
Registered
443 Posts
sorry but you do NOT want to do that. The blower is fixed to engine speed the turbo free spins. even with the wastegate pinned open the blower will over speed the turbo resulting in blowing up the turbo like a grenade. There also will be no vaccum created by the turbine. There will be back pressure due to the quick build up of pressure due to the blower.

You will have to feed the blower with the turbo. its called twin charging. big rigs back in the 60s used twin charging on diesel motors they would feed the blower with the turbo. there is a GM 3.8 with a T4 feeding a M112 over on theturbo forums. its a nice setup real pretty and runs great.

The blower will still spool the turbo quicker (by sucking air thru the turbo faster and high exhaust volume at low rpms due to the blower will help a big turbo spool up quick. You want the turbo before the blower. With the sc setup theres a few good things going on. first it has a eaton with a fmic from factory. the turbo can feed the blower then have a bypass valve that will open around say 8psi to bypass the blower(by now the turbo is spooled and can take over the blower will just be in the way and be ineffecient. The turbo will now act as one and rely on the wastegate before the turbine to keep it from over boosting. Bov will also go after the turbo before the throttle. Then replace the intercooler with a morte efecient one air to air or air to water.
It wont overspin the turbo if the turbo is sized larger then what the sc is pushing. The stock m90 on the 3.8 runs at what 10psi? If hes looking at running 25 (which a holset will easily support and which flows more then a m90 can) then there is no chance of over spinning the turbo. There was a guy that did this exact setup on turboford with a Turbocoupe backed by a c-4. On his initial run it did a 40 to 50 foot long burnout, and that was just mashing the gas.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
either way but you still woulnt have as much controll over the turbo like that. it would be best off feeding the blower with a bypass set to 8-10psi so the turbo can take over at higher revs. most twin charge setups feed the blower

1 - 20 of 36 Posts