TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone done this. I know that the nwer 3.8 had them but not mine. Can i add an afermarket Flex-a-lite kit? if so which part number. should it have the A/C accessory kit as well as the temp kit? I have seen some where they put a capilary tube through the fins of the radiator for the temp reading up near the inlet. any info on install or anything else about it would be great.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Electric fan

I installed a flex-a-lite Black Magic (model 150) electric cooling fan in my 92 bird. Installation was very easy. I am pleased with the mod. The fan works great and keeps the car temperature cool. The kit came with almost everything I needed to install it (It has adjustable temp. control, 180 - 240; A/C relay, etc...).

There are many other electric fan options which will also work on a n/a 3.8, such as finding an electric fan from a more recently made t-bird 3.8 or mustang 3.8, I have also heard some of the Mark electric fans will work.

Just to let you know, before I installed my after market electric fan, I upgraded my stock 75 amp alternator to a 130 amp (3G) alternator, which gives me plenty of juice. If I had not upgraded my stock alternator it would have likely died from the electric fan addition, and possibly destroyed my car's battery. Good luck with the mod's!

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for the response! what did you set your temp to? also how does it sense the temp. is there a capilary tube to put through the fins of the radiator? you also had to tap into the hot wire of the A/C to kick the fan on when the A/C is on right? i have a 160 amp alternator

·
Registered
174 Posts
The 150 model has a capillary tube you insert in the radiator near the inlet hose.

Yes you are correct I tapped in to the air conditioning with a 3 way connector. The A/C relay activates the fan when the A/C is turned on.

I estimate the fan is set to kick in around the 190s.
Before you set up your particular electric fan temp. mark your vehicle's normal idling temp. on the car's temp. gage, then after you perform the mod, set the temp. to the same spot as it was previously marked/idled at (unless you desire another temp. setting). You can adjust the temp. as necessary according to your particluar vehicle's needs.

It sounds like your alternator will be fine (what are you running with it, a big *** stereo? LOL ). Good luck!:)

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i forgot to ask where you pulled the switched power from. I'm assuming the A/C switches a relay and the fan pulls from the battery. and the temp sensor would also flip a relay and pull from the battery. So when the fan is still running and i shut off the ca,r i want the fan to stop even though the temp sensor is telling it to run. So i want to use a switched wire that is only hot when the car is running. Which and where is the wire you used? how did you decide on the black magic 150?

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
I got a hayden fan and switch. I got a pre-set thermostat thought, I wish I had gotten the adjustable. the preset one is set to 185 but it won't sense it perfectly. it probably kicks in a little hotter. And yes it should have an ac in wire. If you DO get the hayden one, be careful of those damn metal pins for fastening it to the radiator. they are basically really long nails and when I stuck one through my radiator it went through and punctured my AC condensor so I have that pulled out right now and I'm getting it fixed. I'd say it's worth it though. I actually noticed a slight power increase. And also, for power, you do not want to tie it straight to your battery, because then it will kick in even when the car is off. I spliced it into the ignition coil in that fuse box right by the battery. I took the top part off with all the fuses and stuff, and then scraped away some of the rubber coating around the ignition coil wire and put it on that and wrapped it, it goes in where all the other wires do so it looks factory. I'm pleased with it. When you put your thermo needle in your radiator coat that thing with mega grey silicone so conduct heat better for a more accurate reading. That's about all I can think of. Good luck.
-Thomas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts