TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add the facyory cd player to premium sound 1989 XR7? anybody got one for sale or suggestions? I prefer the factory look.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You can try to look around eBay for one, as they are pretty generic along all Fords. I'd go with an aftermarket deck, though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I sold mine..

I sold mine for $75 and that included all the wiring...damn man talking about wires...I ripped those babies out in about 2 hours and it was like 20 feet long and round like a half dollar. so many wires....

·
Registered
362 Posts
yes I have a factory cdplayer too to get rid of

Took it out of my 97 at 25,000 miles with 4 speakers? Anybody interested??

·
Registered
204 Posts
I did this retro fit to my 90SC a couple of months ago. You will need a know good CD player, metal support track bracket, and radio to CD wiring harness (about 18" only). The wiring harness for the factory CD comes spliced into the radio harness about 6" +- from the radio. You will have to add 1 extra wire to the main radio harness plug because with CD the radio has an 8 wire plug and w/o it has only 7. There is also a separate ground to ground wire from the back of the radio to the back of the CD.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
To: Ballman

Do you have the metal tray mentioned by vancouverbBC to send with the cd player? how do you get the plastic tray out to install the CD player? Oldkat

·
Registered
204 Posts
factory cd player

Its not a tray, its a 2 -3" wide metal guide track that supports the CD player and keeps it straight and square in the dash. I just used a flat screw driver to pull the empty plastic tray out. For a while, I had a cup/coin holder in there but never used it. So the CD Player is a welcome addition.

·
Registered
275 Posts
JBL

To OLDCAT , yes its there still on the CD player and still in the car .Plays great, would you like the 89-90 type or the newer type like in a 95 . I have both , I own 3 SCs . All one owner cars . Im just going to monster sound . Have the radio too . If anyone is looking . All mint . Im going to Columbus , on labor day . For the big Ford show . Thanks , D.W.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CD player add

what ever woks the best in my 1989, I have a dummy plug in th eback of my radio with 6 pins, I haven't found any wiring pig tails in my dash but I haven't got the package tray out yet. Oldkat

·
Registered
275 Posts
JBL

OK well lets hope all the wire is there for the cd player , that plug is where the cd wire goes. Should be able to see the extra wire on top in the radio area, then another one down below . All mine are with CD player so not sure on the wire deal for the CD player, if it did not come with the CD player in the first place . Lets hope some one out there knows . Thanks . D.W.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pigtails

got radio and HVAC out but did not see any pigtails, any ideas? vancouverBC what did you find in your dash when you added the CD player? Oldkat

·
Registered
275 Posts
JBL

Well keep looking , or with out that wiring set up theres no way to do it that I know of . Should be a gray wire that has a medal shield around it . Is yours the JBL system now with out the CD player . D.W.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Premium Sound wiring

I think I figured it out, I have 89 XR7 and according to my friendly Ford parts man there were two wiring harnesses in 89; one with cd and one with out (both with amp in back) in 1990 they used only one harness and left connectors for cd on even if not installed at factory, I've got the old harness and unless I can make an adapter I'm stuck going anoter route. Steve

·
Registered
204 Posts
factory cd player

I responed but it didn't stay. The JBL and Premium radio harnesses are almost the same and the harness going to the trunk is absolutely the same. There is a major connecting point for the harness located behind the pass side kick panel.

Here's a pic of the back of the radio with part of the harness and the black cover removed from the connector. I added the extra wire to the connector going to the CD Player. Note that all of them were spliced in like the red power wire going to the CD Player. The gray covered harness goes to the Amp on the tray in the trunk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
photo

thanks for the picture, any idea how to wire it to cd, source for the cd cable end? Oldkat

·
Registered
204 Posts
factory cd player

Here's a pic of the back of the CD player.

The plug on the top right is the 1 that splices into the radio harness.
The big red wire is different, its a ground from the center nut on the radio to the center nut on the CD Player. The gray 1 also goes to the radio. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts