TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd post here b/c of the traffic...Tonight I powerwashed the vinal decals off the sides of my car and of course the sticky stuff is left. What is the best way to get that off? Goo gone, paint thiner, etc? Should I be pretty careful if I use paint thinner? Any help would be greatly appreciated...I;m going to try to finish this up tomorrow. Thanks

Joe

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Goo-Gone, that stuff works wonders.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
we actually carry an arosol can called "adhesive remover" and it works awesome. Goo-Gone works good too, but I think this spray stuff might actually work better.

So you took off the special edition vinyl?

-Thomas

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...picked up a stripe remover...the big eraser for a drill and a couple cans of airplane adhesive remover. Started a bit of 'erasing' and touching up with the spray. Looks good so far. Got most of the stuff off on the pass side door. have the rest to do tomorrow. Hopefully it all works well. Thanks for steering me away from the paint thinner too

Joe

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
3m Makes an adhesive remover that they sell to body shops that works really really well. You can usually find it at some local parts store. Locally there is a small chain of parts stores that carries 3m products. Just call around I'm sure there is a parts store near you that supplies to your local body shops that you can get it from.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
yeah thats the stuff I mentioned. Oreilly's carries it.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, didn't get it all done this weekend, but as of tonight I have the rocker panels the front bumper and hapf of the rear yet. It is looking good. I drive the car to work today and will again tomorrow...I'll probably get a few goofy looks with the half rear end deal going on (driver side is stripped, but the pass side isn't)

Joe

·
Registered
722 Posts
whitecoug said:
Well, didn't get it all done this weekend, but as of tonight I have the rocker panels the front bumper and hapf of the rear yet. It is looking good. I drive the car to work today and will again tomorrow...I'll probably get a few goofy looks with the half rear end deal going on (driver side is stripped, but the pass side isn't)

Joe
When I had my body shop I used a heat gun (1500 watt Blow Drier) to take off the decals, and then used Minerial Spirits and several cloth rags to remove the glue. Minerial Spirits will remove all of the glue and any crap on the finish without hurting the paint. If I remember correctly, it is also the main ingredent in the 3M "adhesive remover" and in "tar remover".

·
Registered
180 Posts
Goo-B-Gone or GooGone...awesome stuff, gets off just about everything. You can find it at Walmart (everyone has one of those right?) Target, KMart, most likely your local food store too. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts