TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am a little confused. I have an 88 3.8 and decided to check the timing. I have the notch painted with my wifes white nail polish (works great), and the pointer coming off the engine is rather obvious. My car, like most 3.8's is suppose to be set at 10* before TDC. Is the notch TDC? I have the Snapon timing light, with adjustable advance, hooked to cyl #1, front passanger side, right? My timing light shows @ 30* BTDC with the spout removed. Now it seems to run OK here, I have never messed with it before. But I think I am doing something wrong and would like to know how to do it right. If you hook up a standard timing light at idle where should the timing mark appear to be, an inch before the notch. Help?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh boy, crawled under the car one more time, used some sand paper on the balancer and found the timing marks. They are hard to see in the daylight. I have set the BTDC to 11* and I'll see how that works.

How embarrassing.... :rolleyes:

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
hehe, well at least you figured it out.

·
Registered
293 Posts
MeanGene said:
I have the notch painted with my wifes white nail polish
Why didn't you try some lipstick or mascara on the timingmarks, maybe they were more noticable then
from the beginning :D :D

J/K ;) Sometimes a woman's "toolkit" can be very handy. Nailglue to glue broken tabs for instance :eek:

Ed...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Either the timing light or the guy holding it, isn't bright enough. :)

I added a link to my home page if you want to take a look at by bird. It's in the drop down menu.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I used to use White Out to mark the balancer, you can't miss it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts