TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if it is a great benefit to the performance of the car to advance the timing?? I hear mixed things. And how much do I advance it from stock??

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
A Chip/EEC flash is your best bet but you could go the Timing adjuster route but they are Uber-Ghey and a pain to install. I see you list a 180 T-stat and no chip, You need a chip to take advantage of the lower degree T-Stat.

Timing adjuster

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Just thought I'd throw this in, to add to Scott's (the good Dr.) response.

Steeda Timing Adjuster

Steeda has Perfect Timing
Release of new Steeda 4.6L timing adjuster ends fixed-timing frustration for ‘96 through ‘03 Mustang owners.

Do you own a 1996 or 2002 Mustang? Are you sick of not being able to adjust your timing? Now there’s help for your fixed-timing woes; Steeda Autosports has finished work on a new version of their high-quality 4.6L Timing Adjuster.

This new and improved timing adjuster now fits 2000-2002 4.6 engines and 1996-99 models as well. The reason for the re-design came late last year when Ford moved the belt tension-er for the 2000 model year, interfering with the bracket of the Steeda adjuster. The new Steeda adjuster does away with the bracket allowing it to fit all 1996- 2003 4.6 Mustangs. To advance or retard the timing with-the new Steeda Adjusterowners simply need to loosen the three Allen-head bolts and rotate the clearly marked, laser-etched sprocket on the crank-shaft pulley.

The adjuster gives 20 degrees of total adjustment range, 10 degrees advance and 10 degrees retard. Give Steeda a call or log on to the web-site at www.steeda.com to free up your fixed-timing frustrations.

One would probably increase the timing by a few degrees until 'pinging' occurs under load ....then retard it a bit. :confused:

I'd still rather go with a programmed chip or EEC, but that's just me.

Uber-Ghey
:rofl:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True, the chip is needed for my car pretty soon. Which one do you think is best??
I hear that fordchip and reinhart are best, but what about jet??
Anyone have any input??

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
whitecat7 said:
True, the chip is needed for my car pretty soon. Which one do you think is best??
I hear that fordchip and reinhart are best, but what about jet??
Anyone have any input??
http://rffperformance.com dont forget about Dom Orlando..his prices seem to be quite reasonable, he also has da LMAF and 22Cs available for order on his site. also Apten Performance. i have one of the rare CustomChip tunes..

joseph

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
Sorry I felt I had to plug Dennis becuase Dom or Brian did not just give me a MAF adapter last weekend but they are outstanding as well. You might as well add W&S Motorsports to that list as well for those in the dirty south and we don't Funk around.

:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
Reinhart might have the quickest turn around time for basicly the same great tune. Jet makes a good dishwasher additive and thats about it.

-Scott
LOL... my last burn took, what, two months. I kept calling them, telling them I hadn't got my chip. They said they never recieved it. After the month or so required to pass by to collect the insure for a lost package, I went to the post office. Turns out, they had signed for the chip three days after I sent it. They said they would hook me up on the chip since I had to wait over a month to get it... the hook up was full price. I waited two more weeks before they sent it. Everytime I called, I got the impression he didn't want to be bothered by a customer. I guess everyone has different opinions on who to use, but after that experience.. I'll use a different company in the future.

(Though I still wouldn't trust Jet with my dishwasher)

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah i got that impression from him also i had emailed him a few times to get info about what i should get and he didn't seem to friendly. i remember instead of telling me if what i wanted was what i need it all he told me was how much it cost lol. alberto from fordchip was cool though

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should I wait until I get all mods done whatever they'll all be, or can I get the chip reprogrammed if I put it in now and add stuff later?? Is that possible?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Kounoupi said:
yeah i got that impression from him also i had emailed him a few times to get info about what i should get and he didn't seem to friendly. i remember instead of telling me if what i wanted was what i need it all he told me was how much it cost lol. alberto from fordchip was cool though
WOW!! I'm glad it is not only me!! I vowed I would never spend a dime with Dennis after a VERY rude conversation I had with him a few weeks ago.

I thought that maybe I was just over reacting, but from these posts, it sounds like I'm not.

If anyone wants to PM me, I'll explain, in detail, my disgust with Dennis as I won't go into detail on the board. :mad:

I agree that Alberto seems cool (but busy), and I'll be sending my business to them. :thumbsup:

·
New Title Pending
56 Posts
dennis is a good guy, he's just very busy right now. You have to imagine what it is like when the phone rings off the hook all day long and you have work to do.

Brian

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah thats what i hear i mean i'm not bad mouthing the guy i have nothing against him i have heard he's worked miricles for people before, but i was just sayin ya know...

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I think the problems of people dealing with Dennis are related to his workload. Sometimes he's busy, other times hes not. A few weeks ago I called abd BSed about SC's in general looking for his advice for a friend of mine and he was cool as hell.

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
He's like the dad on American Choppers. He's not mad at cha' he's just a very busy and I have been there before at an extremely busy shop and the phone is ringing constantly and just the sound of it can strike your last nerve. Dennis is a good guy and has done his best to serve us non-Mustang folks.

Pimpin aint easy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow... I never realized other people had the same thoughts. I just thought he was having a bad day/week/month. But, well, really, I just thought he was a *richard*. Considering I got my chip about a year ago from him, doesn't sound like there is a good time to call.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts