TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering but has anyone here advanced the timing on their 3.8 over the factory 10* BTDC? I'm just wondering if the 3.8 in my 95 would like that or not. I know 5.0s (like the one in my 88) respond well to a timing advance up to 14* or more. If anyone has done it have you had to run premium fuel or has it worked with the regular 87 octane? Since the 95 is a daily driver I really don't want to have to run 93 in it just to get 5 more hp ;)

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
i asked the same question a while back.

this was the only response i got:
There is only one right way to set the base timing on a distributor car and how you described it is how it is done. Aside from altering the timing advance table in the PCM, the only thing you can do is bump up the timing and run a higher octane gas. That will give you a few extra ponies. Experiment by running high octane gas and bumping the timing 2 degrees at a time up until you start pinging, then back it off 2 degrees from there. But to get the most performance, you would need to run a cooler t-stat, have a good exhaust system, run high octane gas and get a chip. But IMHO there is a good chunk of change in just doing that and the money would be better spent saving for a V-8 car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know on 5.0s the limit on 87 is about 12* or so. I just want to know if when the timing is advanced on the 3.8 if you can actually feel the difference with the good old sotp meter;). I know in a 5.0 you can but being that the 3.8 is kinda weak I'm not sure if the timing advance would help it lol.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
The ass-dyno can detect anything if you believe hard enough. How do you think K&N makes so much money?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts