TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending the Winter accumulating new parts for my '97, and most of the Spring doing a garage makeover, I finally got started on this year's round of modifications in mid-June. Have now finished installing a bunch of SCP chassis parts, front and rear big brake upgrade, and new wheels (HRBB HR-99s in 18" x 8" and 18" x 10") and tires (Nitto NT555 Gen 2 in 245 and 285 widths).

I knew there could be an issue with the parking brake cables touching the inside of the 10" wide rims. This was made worse by the larger rear brakes which position the caliper and cable further outboard. My solution was to pull them toward the sway bar with HD zip ties. Since everything looked good, I decided to drive the car to work on Wednesday this week. Got about 15 miles from home and the left rear tire went flat. Like many HRBB designs, the HR-99s place the valve stem on the back side of the wheel. The stems had been hitting the parking brake cables and eventually the left one tore open. I had not considered this possibility, and did not hear or feel it happening!

After limping into a gas station parking lot, and thankfully not damaging either wheel or tire (these Nitto's have very robust sidewalls), I called a friend for help. We removed both rear wheels, took them to a tire shop, had shorter valve stems installed, and stuck them back on the car (all done in hot, humid conditions in work clothes). There was now clearance on the right side, but still none on the left. Pushing on the cable while tightening the zip ties solved that for now. The ultimate solution will be to install a set of the "flush mount" valve stems.

My car looks great with all the updates, but as is so often the case in car crafting, making changes often causes new and unexpected problems.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Ya. I would not have looked out for the valve stem clearance either. I'll remember that one. Sounds like a really cool build.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Valve stems on the inside? Is that mostly for looks? I have 19x10s in the rear with a 295/30. I have a 1/8 spacer in the rear and it's not touching the parking brake cable, but it's very close.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yes, it's all about the bling. And, frankly, a PITA to live with!

I could have added a spacer, but like the way the tires are right at the edge of the fender opening.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An update:

After worrying nonstop about the shorty rear valve stems hitting the e-brake cables and failing, I pulled the wheels off the car and had "flush" valve stems installed. Also found some 24" long, 175# tensile strength zip ties at Home Depot which I'm using to hold the cables away from the wheels. There is a passage just above the rear spring perch where a zip tie can be go through and then be used to pull the cable upward. This works, but puts a portion of the cable very close to the coil spring. And, the zip tie can fail if you actually engage the parking brake, so I'm trying not to use it at all.

As noted previously, this is a PITA situation but does allow me to run the gorgeous 18"x10" HRBB wheels.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
In the Mark, i did the same with the rear ebrake lines...zipped them to the sway bar end link actually...seems to be holding off ok, and i try not to use the ebrake as sometimes it snaps the zip ties...if the ties bust, the inside of the rim will be contacting the ebrake cable

Car looks good by the way, the wheels really set it off!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used the ends of the rear sway bar as anchors for the zip ties on my car initially, but the new arrangement seems to be holding up fine and is a little less visible. And yes, I'm trying not to use the e-brake, which is a shame but I'm learning to live with it.

Thanks for the props!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If you park the car on a hill, not engaging the e-brake before letting off the footbrake puts a lot of strain on the Park pawl, as evident by the huge clunk it makes later. Those must be some kind of wheels to be worth all that.

Al

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The HRBBs are gorgeous, and the car looks great with them on. But, if I had it to do over, I might go with something less exotic (and expensive!), and I might change rear wheel width to 9" to reduce the e-brake cable heartburn. I did spend a looooooooong time looking for new wheels, and found very few designs that actually look good on an MN12 and haven't already been used by lots of guys.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
If you park the car on a hill, not engaging the e-brake before letting off the footbrake puts a lot of strain on the Park pawl, as evident by the huge clunk it makes later. Those must be some kind of wheels to be worth all that.

Al
LOL thats what i test daily at work...hopefully Dura (who made the shift system for these cars) did their math right

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
The HRBBs are gorgeous, and the car looks great with them on. But, if I had it to do over, I might go with something less exotic (and expensive!), and I might change rear wheel width to 9" to reduce the e-brake cable heartburn. I did spend a looooooooong time looking for new wheels, and found very few designs that actually look good on an MN12 and haven't already been used by lots of guys.
Do you have pics of the car on here with the wheels? i dont think i have seen them! THing is spotless!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Where are the pics of these wheels?

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,769 Posts
...and found very few designs that actually look good on an MN12 and haven't already been used by lots of guys.
He might not answer, lol.

:smile2:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would be happy to provide pics if somebody can post them for me!

The wheels are the HR-99 design from Hot Rods By Boyd. They are polished aluminum with charcoal painted center sections. At present, my set are the only ones which have been manufactured with a 4.25" bolt pattern. These wheels weren't designed for a bolt pattern this small, so they had to make them with very small diameter wells for the lug nuts. This in turn forced me to use some "tuner" internal spline lugs. Not the look I had imagined, but it came out OK.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
you can email them to me, i can host them on my photobucket if youd like...smokymance (at) gmail

LM

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As I have told several people, putting these wheels on my T-Bird has been like dating a supermodel: she is gorgeous, everybody wants to meet her, and she is a complete PITA to live with!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts