·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,446 Posts
What's your question?

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Have the heads Re-surfaced no matter what you do. If you want to use MLS gaskets you need to surface the block also.

Use the ARP Head studs, 3.8 specific may require grinding on the exhaust manifolds, chase the threads in the block with the appropriate size tap. Or use the Chevy 2.8 Head studs, same diameter but they are shorter, less expensive and clear the exhaust no problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
I'll add that the best resource for SCs is over at SCCoA - www.sccoa.com/forums .

(Oh, pipe down! I keep pointing people HERE for non-SC stuff over there!)

RwP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's your question?
My question would be anything that would help on rebuilding i am a first timer and dont want to destroy it the person i bought it from said the rod was shot but the sound says different i know i need a valve spring compressor to get the heads off i will get the heads resurfaced but my main focus is taking the engine apart and understanding the sc dynamics i have fell in love with these engines and want to know everything aboit them i would like blown up diagrams if its possible but any advice will help

·
Super Moderator
9,446 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,446 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My question would be anything that would help on rebuilding i am a first timer and dont want to destroy it the person i bought it from said the rod was shot but the sound says different i know i need a valve spring compressor to get the heads off i will get the heads resurfaced but my main focus is taking the engine apart and understanding the sc dynamics i have fell in love with these engines and want to know everything aboit them i would like blown up diagrams if its possible but any advice will help
You don't need a valve spring compressor to get the heads off. Suggest buying a Haynes or Chilton repair manual to get most of the info you are seeking.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts