TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy an open car trailer. Looking for a trailer with brakes, and a metal deck. Not sure what size to get. Any advice on what to get what to look for in a used trailer.

Joe

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
well minimal rust, good construction, find a possible trailer and look up the brand name and see what people say about their experiences with their products. its what i do when ever i buy any thing of 50 bucks or more

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Really it all starts with how much do you have to spend.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really it all starts with how much do you have to spend.
Trying to keep it under $1400. Other than things that stand out like rust and damage, any tips for inspecting the trailer?

Also 16' or 18' ? Most people I know have 16' trailers which are slightly cheaper and lighter.

Joe

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
steel deck, the wood ones suck, electric winch, decent ramps, personally 20ft, why? less chance of overhang, my galaxie looks horrible on a 18 almost to the point of not fitting, you figure most real sized cars will fit better on a 20 ft

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
You're not going to get much for that kind of money, if you go to racingjunk.com, use the advanced search and pick towing category, used trailers subcategory, then put in a max price, you'll find some there.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Or just ask Kdanner if you can borrow his.

For example:

Kdanner can I borrow your awesome car trailer from your signature?

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
I've been working on that thing most of the day installing electrical stuff. Got the heat pump in so I can stay warm tonight if I need to do more work out there. Just had to go get a battery and some wiring supplies to wire up all the 12V stuff going in. I'll probably have $20k tied up in it when I am done, but I've wanted one like this for probably 20 years, I've been patient enough I think, I waited till I could just buy one rather than going into debt. :) Trust me I spent plenty of years towing open trailers around the country, some of them were pretty nice ones, and some were just really cheap and ugly.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
soulcailber very cool link! especailly the 48 foot campmaster roadmaster

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
some of them were pretty nice ones,
Yep,the last one sure is.....and works great for me.:D

Guys,for a Tbird,you really need an 18 foot minimum. It's going to be very difficult to get a steel floor trailer for less than $2000.
JL

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
true...I use an 18', and it seems just right.
+2 :zwthstpd:

I have a dovetailed 16' home built trailer and it is really too small for the MN12/FN10 platform.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
I've also got an 18' flatbed and it fits the 'Bird very well.

I've got an H&H tiltbed and really like it. It's easy to load and unload a car.

-Melon

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the car trailer advice. I bought one last week. Ended up spending more than I was originally planning to but its a nice quality trailer and in great shape.

16' Bri-Mar, solid metal deck

Joe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts