TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car loses mad oil,but there is no leak, i've heard that something about fuel injectors can make your car burn alot of oil, is this true?

my service engine light came on a long time ago, my friend hooked his programmer up to my car and said it was reading my car was running way too lean, and that it might be my fuel injectors..is that true?

im thinking of replacing them anyways, are there some badass fuel injectors that might be power improving or something? what do you guys recommend.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
first and foremost, you cannot replace your injectors with others that flow differently without having the computer reprogrammed

next, a bad fuel injector cannot make your vehicle burn more oil, at least not directly...most likely your valve seals need replacing

if your car is running lean, it could be because of MANY things....even something as simple as one spark plug not being gapped correctly causing misfires can cause a lean computer code

do any and all regular maintenance you may have neglected, clean your maf, then see about your lean code, then get back to us

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
My car loses about half a quart every month, I suspect it's the valve seals on the way out. Not 'mad oil' loss but it is a common problem with the 4.6s.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first and foremost, you cannot replace your injectors with others that flow differently without having the computer reprogrammed

next, a bad fuel injector cannot make your vehicle burn more oil, at least not directly...most likely your valve seals need replacing

if your car is running lean, it could be because of MANY things....even something as simple as one spark plug not being gapped correctly causing misfires can cause a lean computer code

do any and all regular maintenance you may have neglected, clean your maf, then see about your lean code, then get back to us
maestro you are the man

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
how hard a job is it to replace valve seals?
Sort of depends on tools available and experience.

But the valve covers have to come off, the followers have to be removed, the spring retainers/keepers have to be removed (ensuring the valves don't fall down inside the cylinder), the springs have to be removed, then the valve stem seals can be remvoed. Installation is the reverse.

The only special tool required would be the one to compress the springs.
http://www.denlorstools.com/shop/images/OTC-7928.jpg

And then a way to hold the valve closed either with compressed air or a rope through the spark plug hole.

So not really a "hard" job, but not as easy as an oil change. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
ya and we all know how easy that is on the 4.6 :)

thanks.
LOL!! :rofl: :rofl: I was wondering if someone was going to catch that. :rofl:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts