TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as I had posted, my check engine light came on, and it was an EGR problem. I took it to the shop, they cleaned it all up and replaced the senser, the bill was $240. Was that fair?

Also, while it was in the shop. I had them investigate the source of my 8.8mpg issue. They told me I needed to get my whole Intake gasket replaced, which he showed me was that huge piece that goes right in the middle of the block. He said it would cost $350 to fix it. How is that for a price?

Also, he said I would be fine to drive the car around, even with the bad IG and 8.8mph, is that true? Should I still drive it? And, could the IG and EGR problems be traced back to my intake causing things to get all dirty and bad? Im thinking of having them put the stock intake setup back on while it is there, I plan on selling the car soon anyways.

Well, sorry for the long post, but I need help/opinions fast, thanks in advance.

Anthony

·
Registered
513 Posts
well for like $12-20 you could delete your egr and you wouldn't have to wory about that problem, i think they charged too much but the egr is a pita to remove and install, the intake is simple to remove with few cheap tools, and you could spend less than or equal to that amount and do it your self with a pi intake swap, and your millage should jump up unless you have other problems too adding to it

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
whole intake gasket replaced huh?

tell him to kiss yer @$$.. there are 2 intake gaskets.. one for each head.. it's not a damn 5.0

damn idiots

takes MAYBE an hour to remove the intake enough to replace the intake gaskets if you so desire

for $350, you could buy EVERYTHING you need to convert your 94 to a PI intake.. not that it would do anything with 94 heads, but still

240 is a lot of money to replace the EGR>. sensor is like $60 at most even w/ 2 hrs labor, at most $180 @ $60/hr..

stock intake setup? wtf you talkin bout willis?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I cant do any work on the car myself..... I suck at it. But I have to CONSTANTLY clean my MAF every three months... it gets annoying. So im going to have them make it stock again. Some of that 350.. its like "180" for the parts, 10 dollars for "coolant" and the rest for laber. I take my car to the most respected place in town.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The MAF is right after the air filter, then their is the intake tube that leads to the throttle body which is attached to the intake elbow which is on top of the intake. The inatke is the aluminum piece behind the alternator that runs the span of the engine.
That being said, if your MAF is constantly getting dirty you need to change the filter or clean the K&N one using less oil this time around. Either we're not getting the whole story or yor mechanic is an idiot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, should I still drive the car with the failing intake gaskets until I get it into the shop?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So was this the REAL EGR problem or was it the DPFE sensor?

I just had that work done (gouging dealer! @ $240 total, so sounds like we have the same rates). The car is running the same, but the gas mileage is back where it was before the problem started. It had dropped to the mid teen's around town and low 20's on the highway.

Now it's back up around 30 mpg on the highway (90% of my driving).

Dark Red 1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L V8
Stone White 2001 Limited w/Cream leather interior
White flaky 1989 Dodge Daytona 2.5L 5 speed

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." - Ferris Bueller

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know, he said it was the EGR. But I REALLLLLLLLLY need to know if I should drive me car with the intake gaskets needing replacment... im sure its not good to drive if im getting 8.8 mpg.. but please... someone has to be able to tell me

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, sorry for the confusion. This is straight from the bill they gave me:
Test for EGR problem, clean out passages, replace DPEF seser, seneser cost- $80.49, labor cost- 155.00 total cost- $241.12

And the invoice for the intake gasket: Gasket Set- 56.90 RTV sealer- 8.50 Coolant-10.00 Labor- 240.00 total after tax- 320.68

1 - 9 of 9 Posts