TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, my 95 bird is getting tired and im going to swap the motor. i plan on doing this around the end of may when im on vacation so i will have a solid week. the swap part is easy. im stuck on the getting a motor part. i do know i must have the aluminum block which i could get a used one from a place like greenleaf auto for around 1,700 or so. i know it would be a great upgrade compared to my 95 with 170k on the clock. i would like to be in the 300hp range with stock reliability so is there any suggestions? i have an xcal already so a retune should not be an issue.
i use the car to tow a kendon 3 rail bike trailer about 8 times a year 450 miles round trip and the added power would be great in the mountains.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
I suggest searching the forum for "explorer swap". You'll find lots of good info to help you get the bird running great.

·
Registered
501 Posts
"Depends on how much you want to spend", That will determine how much hp/torque you get out of your project, Another option you have is when you do the swap you could also upgrade your drivetrain (Tranny, TC, gears).

I would search around Car-part.com has live chat where you can talk directly to a representative through a Instant messanger, so you can ask anything. Theres alot of places in your area that can get you a great deal. Green Leaf Auto is a great place to shop , Many people have picked up great deals from there but there are many places to pick up exactly what you need.

Shop around dont just go for the first thing you see, I have done this many times, See a good deal and buy a good part and then I see a better deal for a great part.

I think there are alot of great guys on this website that are going to be more than willing to go out of their way to help you. Good Luck

Tom
________

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have 3.73 with a posi, tranny is built with a 2300 stall. i have every poly bushing there is and 1 3/8 swaybars on bolth ends. also eibach/koni package so the car is setup and does ok but the motor is an oil burner and im not upto just a pi swap. i rather just swap a motor in than build one. i can spend some money but i want to make sure its spent well. i dont like to do things twice. ive learned the hard way in the past. maybe there a better choice then a used motor? i would like to buy a mostly complete motor. i can install the intake and such but im not into changing cams myself. is there any builder that can be recomended?

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup on your car as it stands. Many people get a low mileage Explorer motor. It may not be brand new, but you would get a power increase, weight savings from the aluminum block and many good years/miles from it. They aren't too expensive either. I assume you'd spend less doing that then building up your own motor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im going to hit some local junk yards this weekend. there arent many good ones around me anymore. what would be a fair price and what would be the best year i should look for? as soon as i find a motor i will need the swap parts for sure. should i also look into an intake and tb or are they a waste? i do have headers on the car would they match up with the newer motor?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts