TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a rev 2 Allen be used on a 95 bird? Been looking thru the forums and i see pretty much all pics show a rev1 kit?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With some parts from the '96-'97 MN12's it absolutely possible.
Could you elaborate a bit for me please. Is it sensors, brackets? The unit i'm looking at has the fuel rails, injectors, coolant tank and pump with it.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
you would want to use the 96-97 fuel rails. You would have to custom fab up the egr tube. You might need a raised cowl hood to clear the throttle body. I don't know if the rev 2 kit has fittings for 2 coolant temp sensors. You would definitely want to use the rev1 96-97 belt routing and you might have to modify the alternator bracket to accomplish this. The reason why is it gives the supercharger pulley a much better wrap with the belt and reduces slippage.

Or you could do what I did and add a tork tech blower kit. There is still a fair bit of modification necessary to use this kit on a tbird.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. I'm still hoping to find a rev1 kit but the price is right on this rev2. Gotta decide this week and take the plunge. It's gonna be a winter project so i have lots of time to gather the items i need. Gonna do the rear end gears, driveshaft, new trans and blower all in one shot. Then i can get my chip from Lonnie and be ready for next spring.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Just curious, where are you finding these Allen kits? I looked for quite a while with no luck, then changed directions.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious, where are you finding these Allen kits? I looked for quite a while with no luck, then changed directions.
One was at a wreckers close to here, sold it complete with engine. One is available local here and 2 responses were right on site here. My biggest beef is the rev1's are always sold by the time i find em. Looks like i will probably have to go with a rev2 unit.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
One was at a wreckers close to here, sold it complete with engine. One is available local here and 2 responses were right on site here. My biggest beef is the rev1's are always sold by the time i find em. Looks like i will probably have to go with a rev2 unit.
If your stuck on the AED I think you will be happier with the RevII when its all said and done, that is if you are willing to sacrifice more work for power. I could be wrong but I think they flow better. Upper plenum and intake inlets seem to be more restrictive on RevI's.

I am basing this information on a comment Brian made that his RevI plenum was about 70mm on the back side, my RevII measured out to a tad over 80mm. So I suppose even down the intake inlet (throat) they have the same differences.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, i've read all the posts i can find on using or not using adapter plates and don't see a definitive answer. Do they really mess up the fuel injector placement to notice a difference or not?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another question i can't find an answer to. What's involved in turning the alternator around? Does it actually hook onto the blower pulley?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Another question i can't find an answer to. What's involved in turning the alternator around? Does it actually hook onto the blower pulley?

What do you mean? Yeah it turns with the same serpentine belt as everything else.

Mine went from blower pulley down to dampener, then dampener up to alt pulley.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, on the Explorer install but if ya look at the Tbird installs, the alternator is turned backwards and looks like it and the blower are connected to same pulley? Wondering how that's accomplished and what mods to alternator cause now it's running backwards?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Yes, on the Explorer install but if ya look at the Tbird installs, the alternator is turned backwards and looks like it and the blower are connected to same pulley? Wondering how that's accomplished and what mods to alternator cause now it's running backwards?
I can't imagine them "sharing" the same pulley. They are prob right next to eachother, but each with their own pulley.

Not sure about the alt running in reverse, but ill assume alts can run either direction.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
There is a bracket supplied in the kit that allows your to flip the alternator and possition it "beside" the blower pulley. They do not share the same pulley.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my AED yesterday and now would like some owner's inputs for general tech on these units. I want to pull the top off and inspect the brick but was wondering, is there a gasket for this cover and if so, can a replacement be found if it breaks on removal? What other areas should be closely inspected/serviced before i put the unit on? Also, does anyone know where i might find the Tbird style alternator bracket or will i have to have one fabbed up? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
There are no real gaskets to speak of. You need to reseal the lid with Loctite 515 gasket maker. When you've got it off, just look for the normal wear or chips on the rotors. Would be a good time to clean off the ACT sensor as well. Check the bypass valve to make sure its operating freely, inspect the area where the runners bolt to the lower manifold for leaks as well. This too is sealed with the Loctite sealer....as is the inlet that mates to the blower.

You'll probably have to fab up your own alternator bracket if you haven't been able to come across one at this point? What exactly happened to the one that should have come with the kit? The original owner would have no use for it without the blower it place?

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
What about those o-rings on the intercooler? Where the coolant tubes come out of the manifold?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Those will be reusable, provided he doesn't destroy them by being rough when removing the brick. In the event he does though, there's really nothing special about them from what I can see? Any NAPA or other parts store should carry them.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This unit is off an Explorer and they use a different bracket for the alternator, raises it up quite a bit. I want to use the Tbird style to keep the alternator down front and low as possible. Either way, i didn't get the bracket so i'll have to make one up, shouldn't be that difficult.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Also I don't recall the tolerance that the bearings should have but I would call Charles at Magnum Powers and ask him so you can inspect that also.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts