TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the T-bird is already a very slippery car, and mine has already been lowered and had a trunk rack (why would you want one?) removed. I was wondering if there was anything cheap I could do to help lower the drag coefficient. I get the nagging feeling there are obvious things staring me in the face but I haven't come up with any decisive plans yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Clean and wax the car.

Any particular goal that you're looking at this for?

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Chin Spoilers

Have you thought about building a Chin Spoiler for it?

1a3202fc.jpg

Chin Spoilers

I know that picture is of a 97 Thunderbird, but I'm sure it can be done if you have some decent fabricating skills..

That or buy a chin spoiler for another car, and see if you can adapt it to work on a Thunderbird..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,523 Posts
Get the micrometer out and align the door jambs so they're perfectly flush with the body panels, reduce the amount of air moving underneath the car, keep the tires flush with the fenders, reduce fender-tire gap, seal the gap between the hood and headlights/fenders, remove the trunk spoiler (if any), (non-street legal following) remove the rearview mirrors and windshield wipers...

Like TM says, what's the goal here?

·
pendejo
430 Posts
Make fender skirts and a kammback out of coroplast, Aluminum belly pan. Duct tape like Matt said... And don't forget to post LOTS of progress pictures...:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eventually puting in a big brake kit with wider tires and lighter rims. The goal was to do what I could to make the car faster/more stable/better on gas. If it's a 100% win-win improvement on the car, I'd like to look into doing it. A belly pan seems like a good idea, though I'm not sure how it'd react with all the snow and salt during the winter

The paint is rough and there is some rust removal/bodywork to be done. So before its re-painted I'd like to have any bodywork changes set in stone.

·
Super Moderator
5,128 Posts
Wider tires and bigger brakes both.

Although, when choosing between safety and fuel mileage, I'd rather have safety :diablo:

(Ideally, I'd have BOTH. But eh.)

RwP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just because I want to sacrifice some fuel economy for wider tires doesn't mean I won't try my damnedest to make it up elsewhere. :)

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts