TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another question about my 96, and I tried searching first. Right now, it is sitting in my garage--it doesn't have a plate, and it's not insureed, so it doesn't move much.

So, a couple of times, I made the mistake of letting it sit for over a week. When I finally got around to starting it, it started just fine. But, when I went to pull out of the garage (my owner's manual recommends moving it at least every 15 days) the front end is locked/frozen.:confused: So, I slowly apply the gas, and the rear tires start spinning on the smooth garage floor before the car starts to move forward.

I know just enough about cars to realize this could be many different things, but what do you experts think it probably is? Do I need to worry alot about this? Will this problem go away when I start driving this car regularly?

I really feel like a moron for actually pushing the gas to get the car to move:leftright --I get a sinking feeling in my stomach, and I think something really bad is gong to happen--but it does break loose, and seems to be fine afterward.

·
Registered
329 Posts
that isnt normal my ar has been parked over a month and it started and drove just fine , i would check that could be your brakes getting stuck or something that if it isnt fixed could en being dangerous /serious.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I store my car in the winter, which in VT is 7 to 8 months. I've never had that problem.

I would check the front brakes, although I'm not sure why it would do such a thing.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
That happens to some of my parts cars (which sit outside, all the time). If the brakes aren't used for a length of time, especially in a high humidity situation, the rotors rust and sometimes get stuck to the pads. After they break loose, applying the brakes a few times at low speed usually knocks the rust off the rotors.

-Rod

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think it is what racecougar said happens to his parts cars--the rotors are definitely rusty, Because it sits in the woods, there is a lot of moisture in my garage, and the car sat outside at the dealer for a long time before I got it. But I'll definitely keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
My racecar does the same thing. I tried to move it a last month, and since it has no engine in it right now, it took about 5 people to move it, and it only wieghs about 1500lbs without the engine and tranny.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
but how could the pads stick to the rotors if the pads weren't touching the rotors? I know your not supposed to set the parking brake for this very reason, but even if you did ours only engages the rear.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Sounds like a caliper piston rebuild is in the future.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
GreenBird said:
but how could the pads stick to the rotors if the pads weren't touching the rotors?
The pads are just about always in light contact with the rotors. This problem is particularly bad with metallic brake pads.

-Rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts