TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past 2 days I replaced my t-stat, and my temp sendor and it had been running nice and cool, barely getting to the N in normal if it even got that high. I washed under the hood (covering the bat,alt,dist,and filter) and today I drove it for the first time to get the temp up since washing it yesterday and it went all the way to the middle of normal so the needle was straight up. If I got on the pedal to pass someone the needle would climb a little bit toward the hot side but not all the way. Does anyone have any idea why this would be? its only 30-40degrees out so im worried about what it might get up to when it starts to warm up out side. Thanks for any advice anyone can give me, Jon.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
did you perhaps use a high pressure washer? maybe you blew off the reservoir tube form the radiator?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol no I didnt, which reminds me I forgot to get it back from my gf's house today lol. i used a hose with barely any pressure.everything is still hooked up right. I even bought a small hose clamp to put on the radiator side of the over flow hose to keep it from escaping there.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
uhh..... maybe get the dist. and wd-40 the hell out of it.. dry it out.. and yeah... also check your ignition coil...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
those would cause the temp guage to rise like that? I did a good job at masking the dist but I guess anythings possible.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
its funny i powerspray my engine compartment every few months never cover anything, and have not had a problem.

yea is the fan coming on?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah the fan comes on when the t-stat opens ( i think) but it def comes on I made sure of that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
my sc does the same thing. if im on the highway its barely a the N of the guage but in traffic it starts to rise and when i mat the pedal it starts to climb. i was told it might be a head geasket problem. did you wash your car while it was hot and did the washer you used have hot water or cold?

·
Registered
72 Posts
my sc does the same thing. if im on the highway its barely a the N of the guage but in traffic it starts to rise and when i mat the pedal it starts to climb. i was told it might be a head geasket problem. did you wash your car while it was hot and did the washer you used have hot water or cold water?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
with my autometer gauge, just before the N on NORM is about 170-175* so that is actually too cold. Right at the N is about 180-185* which is right where i try to consistently run my engine at with the timing Ive got. But right in the midle of NORM i about 195-200* which is normal factory operating temp with a 195* t-stat (stock temp).
-Thomas

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
no I haven't tried that , how would I go about that?
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=2721

With the engine cold, remove the vent cap. If coolant isn't all the way at the top of the vent tube, place a small funnel in the vent tube, and SLOWLY fill the system with coolant through the funnel. That will ensure that there isn't any air in the coolant system.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well it finally bugged me enough that today I went out and got a 180* t-stat and it seems to have worked to solve the hot issue, maybe there was a 180 in there before.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I think it's pretty easy to deform the thermostat housing on the 3.8. Check around that and make sure it's not leaking (I'm a dummy, I leaned on mine once and screwed it up.)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol no leaks, that is one thing I havent had an issue with lol. Everything seems to be working great now hopefully it will stay that way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts