TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running aftermarket fans? I’m looking for something that’s thinner, with a little more kick than the stock fan.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
You would be hard pressed to get better performance than the stock fans. Guys building other makes of cars seek these fans out.

Al

Reactions: RalphP

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Bulldog,

T6Rocket is right - most aftermarket fans can't provide the airflow of the "best" Ford OEM fans (Mark VIII, Taurus, Thunderbird/Cougar). Here are a couple of things I did to address the fit and performance issues: (1) Trimmed 3/4" off the box portion of the stock fan shroud, which increased space from the fan to the engine accessories while still allowing clearance between the fan blade and the radiator. (2) Added a 14" aftermarket pusher fan in front of the heat exchangers to increase airflow through the cooling pack. The stock fan needed help after I swapped the factory radiator for a Griffin 2.5" thick core and added a transmission cooler and supercharger intercooler.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You would be hard pressed to get better performance than the stock fans. Guys building other makes of cars seek these fans out.

Al
I’m aware that it’s a good fan set up, but it’s a space thing. Derale has a set up that pulls 4,000 CFM and is 3.5” thick. I’m really just wondering if the aftermarket has gotten any better over the years.

Bulldog,

T6Rocket is right - most aftermarket fans can't provide the airflow of the "best" Ford OEM fans (Mark VIII, Taurus, Thunderbird/Cougar). Here are a couple of things I did to address the fit and performance issues: (1) Trimmed 3/4" off the box portion of the stock fan shroud, which increased space from the fan to the engine accessories while still allowing clearance between the fan blade and the radiator. (2) Added a 14" aftermarket pusher fan in front of the heat exchangers to increase airflow through the cooling pack. The stock fan needed help after I swapped the factory radiator for a Griffin 2.5" thick core and added a transmission cooler and supercharger intercooler.
Does it keep your car cool? How much room do you have between the crank pulley?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yes, the car stays cool even in summer with the A/C on. Clearance to the crank pulley was what drove me to trim the fan shroud. The add-on pulley for the blower drive belt (Tork Tech Terminator GT kit) ate up so much room I couldn't install the stock fan. With 3/4" removed, the rear of the fan motor just clears the pulley. There is literally just enough room to slip a drive belt between them!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, we have a similar set up. Mine is just stock bore and I spin the blower a lot harder. I installed a fluidyne today and put the stock fan back in without trimming. Maybe .125” clearance. I’m gonna put the car around tomorrow and see how it performs.

The stock radiator and fan were not keeping it cool last time I drove it (2 years ago lol)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Although I don’t have a quantified improvement to point to, I believe adding the pusher fan made a significant difference in total airflow through my heat exchangers. If your new radiator isn’t enough, that is something you could try.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
bulldog, how much boost are you making? and what RWHP?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Holy crap!!! You must be well into the 10’s then. I’m knocking on that door and had hoped to break through this spring. Not sure when I’ll get the car to the drag strip.

Assume you are running E85. What fuel pump and injectors are you using?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy crap!!! You must be well into the 10’s then. I’m knocking on that door and had hoped to break through this spring. Not sure when I’ll get the car to the drag strip.

Assume you are running E85. What fuel pump and injectors are you using?
It’s been 10.1.

Currently it has a ID 1000’s and Dual TI 465 pumps in tank. I’m thinking of either going to a fuel cell or surge tank. It really sucks to stuff two huge pumps in the stock tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts