TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to start wondering aloud, because I know sooner or later someone is going to ask anyway...

JL and Goldbird have proven that both the Comp Cams and the PI intakes are worth HP - theyre both now pushing 250+ rwhp ... which is hella nice comapred to the 165 or so we put out to the wheels stock. BUT these guys have Ported heads and full exhausts done. If someone takes a stock NPI car, adds a pair of cams and a PI intake together, what are we looking at here?

I know at that point the exhaust would be the next restriction, but still there are gains to be had. And at that point exhaust would have to be the next mods, IMO.
A PI intake isn't going to gain a stock 96-7 17rwhp since most of us don't have ported heads and a full exhaust, but 5-7 hp I think is possible with light mods. Up to this point bolt-on cars have been able to get to 200+rwhp with PI cams, exhausts, pullies, TBs/MAFs etc. Am I way off base here? What do you guys think?

Tom

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
that sure shut them up real quick didn't it???

Good Job JL and Kdanner.... way to show them..

at least a couple of them had enough **** to post and admit they were convinced..

so the PI Intake is a definite improvement.. my question:

don't we have 2 intake sensors in the coolant crossover? i know the PI has 1.. how do we go around that problem??

James

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
All you do is put a "T" fitting on one of the heater core lines and drop the sensor in there

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
"If someone takes a stock NPI car, adds a pair of cams and a PI intake together, what are we looking at here?"

PI intakes wont fit on a NPI bird head.....

·
6,253 Posts
did you read the thread on modular depot?

Kdanner and JL did just that

kdanner epoxied up a pi intake manifold to match the ports on JLs NPI heads to get results..

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Ohh yea...I'm retarded. Ignore the retarded kid everyone....

·
6,253 Posts
hahahhahaaha its ok.. its Brain fart sunday didn't you know??:D

·
Registered
239 Posts
i hope someone can find a way to bolt the pi intake to the npi heads!!! I wonder if a metal shim, about 1/8 or maybe even up to a 1/2 inch thick could possibly act as a more permanent epoxy solution??

Anyways Congrats JL and kdanner, if it weren't for you we all would be spending hellla bucks on PI heads.

This makes me wonder what the new fox lake P-51 would do on a stock NPI block??

·
6,253 Posts
considering the fact that the PI intake gives what, 17 rwhp on a headworked motor, that is maybe 10 on an untouched head?

max gain for the P51 was 17rwhp over the PI intake, so would a realistic
20rwhp be too high if and when they make it for the NPI heads? nearly 30 for p&p npi's w/ good cams?

what i think is funny, it almost looks like an Allen Kit at first glance.. except for the huge bulge up top...

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
I'm going to be looking for another local guinea pig, I want to do this one more time. What I want to do is dyno one stock, then add the cams and intake and dyno it again. I'm not sure if the intake will be worth as much HP with stock heads, but it very well may be. Remember we aren't exactly putting a killer intake on there, the PI plastic is no prize either, this just shows how bad the NPI plastic is. I'm sure Johnny would see a fair amount more HP with a better intake. And the dyno we used was a damn Mustang, I bet a Dynojet would have showed a couple more HP gain. It's my gut feeling that changing those 2 items on a stock car will put it at the same RWHP level as a stock PI engine. That's good for the $ I think.

·
6,253 Posts
damn.. i'd love to let you use my car.

stock heads, stock intake, stock cams....

only exhaust mods are 2" duals w/ an H-pipe and 40 series flows

BUT.. i live in Florida.. quite a drive from Texas....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts