TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which cat converter brand did you have best luck with?

I hear Eastern and Walker are very good.

Also, I'm doing this for an explorer, I believe there are 3 studs attached stock cat and nuts to hold it to the Y pipe. I'm thinking the best way to tackle this is to cut the nuts flush with the y-pipe flange, and it should separate. A few hits with an air hammer should do it, there is a gasket in between. There is not much left of the nut. I don't think there are threads in the y-pipe flange. The cat has a hole so I don't have worry about saving it.

·
Super Moderator
7,555 Posts
I have not had good luck with eastern. I have both had them fail within a few years, and also had the supposed direct fit ones not fit properly. Now all I will use is the Magnaflow cats. They cost a little more, but are a much better quality than the others.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
For direct fit stuff I use Bosal or Walker. I also have had negative experiences with Eastern. For universal stuff I use magnaflow or thunderbolt.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I see Magnaflow is almost $600, Walker is $319. Eastern is around $280, NY requires the expensive CA emission converters. Bosal does not show a CA emissions unit for this truck. Another brand is Davico, but I never heard of them.

I guess it will be choice between Magnaflow and Walker. Shop quoted $1400 for a complete exhaust so whatever I go with I'm ahead. Shop wanted to use Walker, they said they install tons of them and they had one comeback where a hanger broke off, likely from hitting something. He showed me in his system at least 50 installs of my particular converter.

Hopefully everything is stainless steel, because aftermarket exhaust is usually crappy alum-steel.

·
Super Moderator
7,555 Posts
Magnaflow is stainless. Walker is usually aluminized. Also every walker product I have installed, whether cats, mufflers, or even just tailpipes, has had compression bends, which are no good for performance. The Magnaflow ones all have mandrel bends.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Look at it this way the OEM pipe is Stainless, so if you go Aluminized it a step backward in quality. Also aftermarket unit usually arn't concerned with life of the converter so them failing in a few years is of no surprise (OEMs usually have 100k warranty, is also the reason scrap dealer usually only want OEM convertors)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Magnaflow is stainless. Walker is usually aluminized. Also every walker product I have installed, whether cats, mufflers, or even just tailpipes, has had compression bends, which are no good for performance. The Magnaflow ones all have mandrel bends.
Yeah, I noticed that, even the Eastern is mandrel bent. If it is aluminized it won't last long here. Maybe worth to go with Magnaflow.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Shop quoted $1400 for a complete exhaust so whatever I go with I'm ahead.
For grins and giggles, I would get a price from Jason "Fordpartscounter" for a factory cat pipe and exhaust. That would be worth it if you install it yourself.

$1400 is a lot for a system that includes aftermarket cats that won't last long.

Al

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For grins and giggles, I would get a price from Jason "Fordpartscounter" for a factory cat pipe and exhaust. That would be worth it if you install it yourself.

$1400 is a lot for a system that includes aftermarket cats that won't last long.

Al
Ford don't have exhaust parts for anything made in the 90s, unless you find NOS. Aftermarket is your only option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts