TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have any problems with aftermarket intakes like they are selling on Ebay for around $199 ?? I got one from Napa for $281, and 12 month warranty, and they are local so if there's anything wrong, I can go back and get it dealt with easily. Ford wanted $491 for it!

My 4.6L intake in my '97 cougar (30th anniv) cracked and spewed coolant all over the place - I knew it could happen, and even my '96 t-bird had it replaced under warranty (leaking around the temp sensor bung). So, no surprises.

Just wondering if anyone has used the aftermarket intakes and what your opinion on them were.

thanks!

art k.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've heard some complants on Stangnet from some people who bought the "Dorman" aftermarket intake and have had problems wth getting at the sparkplugs to change them out. I second the idea of getting the "PI" set-up.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I did the PI intake route, 150 bucks from almost anyone, but need to add the price of the gaskets (most aftermarket ones come with them as part of the intake). I couldn't see reusing the gaskets on mine when I did it, there were someparts of the rubber that was work and some places that didn't spring back up when the old intake was removed.

I worked on a 96 Crown Vic with the dorman intake on it, I didn't see any issues with it, I am still debating on going with it or doing the PI update on my 2000 Grand Marquis. I don't want to wait for it to fail, because when it failed on my 97 Cougar, I wouldn't have been able to limp it very far. Isn't that 450-500 dollar one the kit; intake, thermostat housing, alternator bracket, radiator hose, gaskets, etc?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys, I already got the one from NAPA... but that doesn't mean I can't return it ;)

I don't want to do the PI thing, it's the wife's car and I don't need her gettnig stuck or the CES light, or anything else going wrong.

I will certainly compare both intakes - I just did the plugs and wires, so that's OK, but I'll be sure to check if there's any interference with anything before I commit and bolt it on.

I got a new digital camera for Christmas (yeah, I bought it for myself), so I'll be sure to take pictures of the job (in the backyard w/temps in the 30's and a 150KBTU kero heater). I'll put them on my own website and post links here, if that's OK.

Is Dorman the only one making these things aftermarket?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I think there is another company making them, there are some very odd looking ones on eBay, the way the web looks between the runners, the way some of the bolt "towers" look, and the way that some have a new thermostat housing, some have bushings, and there are some other differences I was noticing.

I am hesitant about doing the PI intake on my Grand Marquis for the same reason. I am sure it would be better than the ticking timebomb on there now, but who knows. I have 2500 miles or so on the PI intake, I have had to add a pint of coolant in that time, which I am guessing is okay, I have to add about that to my 00 Grand Marquis over the summer, and I have to had a quart to my 89 Cougar over the same time.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
krewat said:
I don't want to do the PI thing, it's the wife's car and I don't need her gettnig stuck or the CES light, or anything else going wrong.
The stupid things are for all practical purposes identical, there is no more likelihood of a check engine light or failure with one or the other. Might as well go for the one with more horsepower.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I have a Ford post-replacement NPI manifold that I pulled off when I did my PI intake and cams I'll sell ya for a C-note plus shipping. :D It held 5psi of boost and nitrous with no problems ever.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Yeah, I just installed (2 days ago) the aftermarket "01-02 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis" intake from am_autoparts on eBay. It has some sorta vacuum leak somewhere underneath, gotta track that down sometime but other than that everything went smoothly and the car pulls harder at the top of the tach than she did with the NPI intake. There is enough room on the intake to put the required RTV around the coolant ports, just be sure to fill in the "pockets" first...you'll understand what I mean if you get one. Spark plug boots need to be squeezed in there, but once they seat all is well. The stock thermostat housing can be reused, just install the provided spacers and install like usual. It came with a 195* stat, I installed a 180*. What I likes most is that there are 2 threaded ports on the aluminum coolant crossover, the stock PCM and gauge sending units fit right in, with no extending of the wires.

Now, just gotta go kill that vac leak...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hotbird said:
Now, just gotta go kill that vac leak...

Which is exactly why I don't want to play around with a PI intake on the wife's car ;)

If it were MY car, no problem!

Keep the info coming guys, this is great!

The one thing I was worried about with the PI is the water tube underneath the intake - the car has climate control, so I'd either need to modify the existing stock one, or get a PI water tube and put the sensor bung on it. Anyone with more info on that particular gotcha?

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Well I have had the PI intake on my car for one year and haven't had any issues what so ever with the intake or with the seal that I had to make. For all practical purposes I think that it is as close to a stock replacement as replacing the stock one. Sure you have to modify some things but it is worth it in the end.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I made this:

Ace hardware. It is alnost 10 bucks worth of stuff, the Tee, two hose bib ends, the end the sensor screws into, then a nipple. Cutting up the original coolant line and using the section that has the bung in it is an option than most do, but I don't have the best luck doing things like that, without a flare on the end, it would leak on me, I am sure.

I reuse the heater hose off the heater core, connect it to the tee I made (the sensor points down), and use a section of heater hose to go from the other part of the tee across the back of the intake to the new coolant tubes end.

I didn't pay enough attention to know that the coolant tube now came out the drivers side of the valley, not the passenger side, so I looked like a monkey putting together a puzzle until I looked at a 2002 Crown Vic to see how it was routed, then it was all clear to me. I also didn't realize that the tube was held in place at the rear of the block, and that it was a press fit on the nipple pressed into the back of the waterpump provision on the block.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Got one off eBay with gaskets for my 97 Cat. Perfect fit and no problems afte 5 K miles. Cost $200 including shipping. The Ford parts guy quoted me over twice that.

Tony

1 - 15 of 15 Posts