TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright..

First, might I say, "Doh!" :bangwall:

Okay, so I bought a set of underdrive pulleys for my 3.8... heh... problem is, I failed to notice I was looking at 3.8L V6 for the '96 Mustang. Umm... is this going to be a problem? I mean, it looks like it'll fit... looks like the same piece for listed under the T-Bird 3.8 Underdrive pulley kit... should work still.... right? Ah c'mon guys! Tell me it'll work! Pleeeeeze! I don't wanna send 'em back! I don't wanna!

*sigh* Ah well... at least I didn't get 'em for a 3.8 Firebird... lol...

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
they will work with no problem... just remember you will need a shorter belt with the underdrive pulley

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
yeah, what john said!

·
Registered
630 Posts
YES a underdirve will increase back pressure and b low out head gaskets!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
uhh... how much shorter belt? What kind of belt would I ask for if I went to autozone and asked for one?

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
how in the hell will an underdrive pully increase backpressure and blow a headgasket? Explain this one to me

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Destructor90 said:
Nominated for "Most Uninformed Post of the Day".

·
The Parts Guy
7,424 Posts
jimmy_04 said:
I second that nomination. If my opinion matters lol.
It doesn't.

Just kidding. You left yourself open for that one. :D

-Rod

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Destructor90 said:
:uppoint: ha, ha, dood, you're funny...:rofl:

you were kidding, right, :leftright

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
yeah, there's no reasonable way an underdrive pulley could increase backpressure, unless you are thinking of a supercharger pulley, which is technically an overdrive pulley. And that increases backpressure because the boost is raised and the blower is pushing more air into the same space. But this is not a supercharged car we are talking about. And usually overdrive SC pullies dont blow HG's anyway.
-Thomas

·
Registered
630 Posts
Then ill leave this post with DOH!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay! These underdrive pulleys will NOT work. There are 4 holes outlining the pulley that do not match up to a '96 T-Bird crank pulley and/or harmonic balancer.

Also, the harmonic balancer looks to be 1 piece with the crank pulley. I think I'm gonna need a little more 411 before I go trying to strap a '96 Mustang 3.8 underdrive crank pulley to a 96 3.8 T-Bird.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
then you didn't get a 96 underdrive.. you got a 99+ balancer

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you'd like the invoice and part # you can look it up. It's a 93-98 3.8 V6 Mustang Underdrive pulley set (1-25% reduced crank pulley and 1-alternator pulley).

·
The Parts Guy
7,424 Posts
The pulley will only line up on the HB one way. You have to rotate the pulley on the HB to get all four holes to line up.

-Rod

1 - 20 of 29 Posts