TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody. a day or two ago my 95 tbird 4.6 air bag light started flashing. it starts off with one flash then pause then four flashes and pause then repeats itself. code 14. i called ford and they wanted me to bring it in so they could charge me money i dont have to tell me what it is. i did a little research before posting and all i could find was vague information on similar code. is the car unsafe to drive like this? what will fix it? thanks!! if you need any other information let me know and i can provide it.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
14= Ground Fault
--Going off a 94 Schematic--
In Diagnostic Monitor

Circuits: 625 (Y/LG), 619 (Pk/W), 617 (Pk/O), or 624 (Y/W) is the problem
Pins: 6, 18, 17, or 2 (order the same)
or Fuse between 15 and 13 blown
Ford said:
Normal Operation

The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the voltage at Pins 2 Circuit 624 (Y/W) and 6 Circuit 625 (Y/LG) of the air bag diagnostic monitor connector. The normal voltage at these pins is approximately 10 volts ± 1 volt when the ignition switch is in RUN, or battery voltage when the ignition switch is OFF. If the air bag diagnostic monitor detects that the voltage at Pins 2 or 6 has dropped to 5 volts or less, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash out code 14 on the air bag indicator to indicate a short to ground on any of these circuits (refer to Possible Causes for additional circuits that may be shorted to ground). When flashing code 14, the air bag diagnostic monitor blows its internal thermal fuse. This disables the air bag deployment circuit. If the voltage at Pins 2 and 6 returns to normal, a diagnostic trouble code 51 will be present due to the open thermal fuse.
34= Drivers sliding contact short.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 34

Ford said:
Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted

Normal Operation

The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the resistance across Pin 10 (Circuit 615, GY/W) and Pin 11 (Circuit 614, GY/O) every time the ignition switch is turned to RUN. Normal resistance across these circuits is between 1.5 ohm and 2.0 ohms. This resistance comes from the driver side air bag module itself (approximately 1.0 ohm) and the air bag sliding contact windings (0.25 to 0.5 ohm per winding, two windings in all). If the resistance across these two circuits is less than 0.7 ohm, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash code 34.

NOTE:
The connectors for the driver side air bag module and the air bag sliding contact have metal spring clips that act as shorting bars. These shorting bars are built into the plastic hardshell connectors. The shorting bars are designed to short Circuits 614 (GY/O) and 615 (GY/W) together when the connectors are not mated. DO NOT attempt to remove the driver air bag shorting bar and measure the resistance of the driver side air bag module.
The air bag sliding contact shorting bar may be removed to measure the air bag sliding contact resistance. Use extreme care when reinstalling the shorting bar to ensure it is installed correctly.

Possible Causes

Low resistance across Pins 10 and 11 can be caused by:

1. A poorly mated air bag sliding contact connector not pushing the shorting bars back into their fully retracted positions.

2. A damaged shorting bar may short Circuits 614 (GY/O) and 615 (GY/W) together.

3. A short in the air bag sliding contact windings.

4. A short across the air bag terminals within the driver side air bag module. DO NOT attempt a direct resistance measurement of the driver side air bag module. Follow the diagnostic procedures to determine if the driver air bag resistance is lower than normal.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Monitor Location and Removal

Ford said:
Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor

Removal

WARNING:
THE ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT NECESSARY FOR SYSTEM DEPLOYMENT IS POWERED DIRECTLY FROM THE BATTERY. TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY, THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE MUST BE DISCONNECTED PRIOR TO SERVICING OR REPLACING ANY SYSTEM COMPONENTS.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Disconnect positive battery cable and wait one minute for back-up power supply energy to be depleted.

3. Open glove compartment door (06024) and depress sides to release retaining tabs. Disconnect glove compartment door holding cable and pin to allow glove compartment door to drop down.

4. Depress tabs on air bag diagnostic monitor mounting bracket and slide air bag diagnostic monitor off bracket.

5. Disconnect air bag diagnostic monitor electrical wiring connectors and remove air bag diagnostic monitor.

Installation

1. Connect electrical wiring connectors to the air bag diagnostic monitor.

2. Position air bag diagnostic monitor to mounting bracket and slide air bag diagnostic monitor into place. Ensure that tabs are locked in place.

3. Attach glove compartment door holding cable and pin. Close glove compartment by pushing in on retaining tabs.

4. Reconnect positive battery cable.

5. Reconnect battery ground cable.

6. Prove out air bag system.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
On the front page, go to the technical articles. Then click on miscellaneous. In there go to the SRS air bag codes. They are the same for your T'bird.
#14 - Primary crash sensor circuit short to ground.
Hope that helps. By-the-by, clicking on the "search" button is a wonderful thing to do. Just type in a phrase or word and all (nearly) will be revealed :D

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Have you bottomed the car out recently? Or scraped a parking bumper? Any work done around the PS hoses, A/C condensor, etc.. The front sensors are in a pretty tight area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope havent bottomed it out lately or scraped bumper and no work done to it what so ever lately. other then just washing the car....

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I have a code 13, but I dont have any Airbag Simulators to determine if my bags are shorted, or to bypass them and test the crash sensors ...

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
is the car safe to drive with code 14? which is the primary crash sensor? thanks for all your guys' help
Well, your Airbags are Disabled with Code 14, so they will not deploy if you get into a crash.

Primary Crash sensors are the 2 in front of the radiator support.

You need to deactivate the system, disconnect the monitor and measure the resistance between ground and sensor leads to determine if there is a short circuit in the wiring .. if there is a closed circuit, you can measure the resistance at the sensors themselves to determine which one is shorted.

Otherwise, it could be the monitor itself.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
wait.... mine is a 32 not a 34
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE 32

Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open

Normal Operation

The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the resistance across Pin 10 (Circuit 615, GY/W) and Pin 11 (Circuit 614, GY/O) every time the ignition switch is turned to RUN. Normal resistance across these circuits is between 1.5 ohm and 2.0 ohms. This resistance comes from the air bag itself (approximately 1.0 ohm) and the air bag sliding contact windings (approximately 0.25 to 0.5 ohm per winding, two windings in all). If the resistance across these two circuits exceeds 4.0 ohms, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash diagnostic trouble code 32.

NOTE:
The connectors for the driver side air bag module and the air bag sliding contact have metal spring clips that act as shorting bars. These shorting bars are built into the plastic hardshell connectors. The shorting bars are designed to short Circuits 614 and 615 together when the connectors are not mated. DO NOT attempt to remove the air bag shorting bar and measure the resistance of the driver side air bag module.

The air bag sliding contact shorting bar may be removed to measure the air bag sliding contact resistance. Use extreme care when reinstalling the shorting bar to ensure it is installed correctly.

Possible Causes

Excessive resistance across Pins 10 and 11 can be caused by:

1. A poor connection where the air bag sliding contact connects into the main wiring harness. The air bag sliding contact connector at the base of the steering column may have excessive resistance between the male and female terminals in the connector or across the terminal crimps.

2. An open circuit or high resistance in the air bag sliding contact windings inside the air bag sliding contact.

3. An open circuit or high resistance in the wiring harness in either Circuit 614 (GY/O) or Circuit 615 (GY/W).

4. An open circuit or high resistance in the driver side air bag module. DO NOT attempt a direct resistance measurement of the driver side air bag module. Follow the diagnostic procedures to determine if the driver side air bag module resistance is higher than normal.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Yea, if you do have some type of accident involving the front end, the airbags may not deploy. Or, depending on where the short is, they may just "Go Off" without warning. Usually, it's a wire that's chaffed. Meaning that the wire has shorted directly on a metal surface. That's why I asked about any work or possably a wire being moved from it's position. Assuming that it is a chaffed wire, and if you want to trace the wire, first you'll need to disable the airbag system by disconnecting the Positive battery cable. Then wait about five mins. or so (there is a battery back up in the monitor in case the battery becomes toast in an accident). Start at the front sensor and trace the wires back as far as you can. Look in tight areas where the wire insulation may of rubbed thru. Check any plugs that may be corroded (unplug them and look at the connections). Give that a try.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
There are two front sensors mounted on each end of the front radiator support, directly in front of the A/C condensor. One is located near the power steering cooler and lines (drivers side), and the other is on the opposite side. They are black, square, and about the size of a Zippo. I don't know what the beeping means, other than it probably means to check the system codes because of a malfunction.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts