TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: today I was sitting at work and was thinking about air bags ... the only differnce i see between hydraulics and air bags is one uses air pressure and the other uses hydraulic pressure ... does anybody know of a site that can give me like a Air Bag Suspension 101? im desperately in need of some help .. thanks in advance. ..
p.s i looked around, and cant find a suspension shop in northern VA that will do an install for me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I dunno much about bags, but here's an alright site on hydro's http://www.layitlow.com/tech.shtml

From what I've seen, hydraulics move a lot faster than bags. I like the faster motion better. The newer airbag kits move a lot faster than they used to though.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
:eek: holy crap dude, that's friggin nuts!! :uppoint: I've no intent of ever doing that to my birdy

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, that is pretty amazing that air bags can hop like that. one problem i have is finding a shop that would actually install everything for me. with hydraulics do you buy a universal parts or parts to fit that application?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
BAGGED89 said:
air has come a long way in reliability and speed, if you have the coin for it.

this is air
So what is the weight of that "truck"? Considering it has no bed, what else has been stripped out of it?

Just wondering if that photo is as impressive as it first appear to be. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
974 Posts
if you arn't looking for a fast system just just a system that you can adjust the height and stuff you can find a wrecked mark viii and go from there. There are a few guys that have modified the mark viii system to a fast bag type. But because it's oem **** there are definately limitations.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
for hydraulics - usualy they mod your front shock but gutting it and putting the cylindet in it or making a mount for the cylcinder that mounts in the stock fashion.

from what i have seen on the rear they will have to drill a hole thru the trunk floor inroder to get the cylinder thru there in to the spring pocket area. they can put a small spring below the cylinder and a donut (round plate) to kee the cylinder from sliding into the trunk.

i perfer the air. if you ghet a leak it won't make a mess in your car. they air stuff you can do yourself. we have almost everything that needs to be done shown on baggedbirds somewhere.

i am not a hydro expert but i have seen some sone. How to plumb the pumps and dumps? :confused: not me :D

edit - i didn't realize you had a mark. look at the Kale's on the pic of the day. he has air you are ahead of most of the birds already having it there from the factory. it won't layout but it still gets down

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
BAGGED89 said:
'94 - its pretty well hollowed out i think. there are others not as high with complete vehicles. oh - thats on a nitrogren bottle. i don't know whats its regulated at through.
That is sort of what I thought, but I was definitely giving the benefit of the doubt. There is a big difference between lifting 2000 lbs. that high and 4000 lbs. that high. :beek:

But still impressive though!! :bowdown:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bagged 89 you most def know what your talking about when it comes to dropping a bird, i'm very intrested in buying parts and having them installed i just dont trust myself with a more serious body and suspension installation like this. so are there any shops in the Virginia area that would do this? i could actually drive anywhere on the east coast to have it done, if anybody knows of a place.

·
Registered
605 Posts
franky: i use to go to GMU and when i was up that way i looked for places and couldn't find any, except one, that has done a bird before. Tommy, (aka baggedbooosh) something like that, got his done at a shop up in Md. They wanted 2k just for the install, so i decided to do it myself. Its not to hard, they only prob i had was with leaks at first, but u jsut gotta make sure all the fittings are TIGHT and sealed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
There was a green 96/97 with bags at 75-80 Dragway (Monrovia, MD) last August when I was up that way. It's betwen Frederick and Hagerstown, off I-70, in western Maryland. The Maryland/West Virginia chapter guys were having a get-together there as part of a show. Great bunch of people.

You might try getting hold of 1MTNCAT. Here's the link to his post about the meet this summer: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=68037 (from the West Virginia Chapter forum).

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
BAGGED89 said:
air has come a long way in reliability and speed, if you have the coin for it.

this is air
I wonder if his CD player skipped when it landed.... :D

That looks like it would be hell on everything on the truck.

-Rod

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
On everything what in the truck? There's nothing left in it!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2k for an install? hmmm i would try to do the install by myself, i just don't think i would get everything working right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts