TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in a back magic electric fan and hooked it up so the fan runs with the air on. The compressor engauges but kicks out after only 2 or 3 sec. I disconnected the fan relay but it does thae same thing. The air only blows about 70 instead of in the lower 40s. I have a 93 with AOD. A new water pump that flows more, its does cool better and it did, also U/D pulleys. Thans for your help.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
There are a few a few safety devices on the AC that could be doing it. Low evaporator pressure (vacuum), and high condenser pressure. The low evap would be from a low freon charge. The high condenser (head) pressure could be from over charge, (liquid freon getting into the high pressure section). or a dirty condenser coil, or low air flow over it. It is the coil in front of the radiator. Try spraying a mist of water over the condenser coil to see if it keeps running. If so, it is high head pressure doing it.

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
I bet you are just running low on R12 and the low pressure switch is shutting off the AC clutch. I would jump out the switch in question to check if it is indeed the reason. The new R134-A retro fit kits run about $35.00 and come with everything you need.

Regards

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts