TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

My air condtioning is dead; blows very little cold air and the compressor clutchs in and out every 4 seconds. This causes a power increase and than dramatic decrease. I wanted to know if any of you have bought a R-12 to R-134a kit and replaced it with R-134a? If so, how well did this work (mechanically is the system still intact)? and is it a good idea (I have a friend who just did it; it blows real cold he has a 91' 3.8 LX and I have a 92' 3.8 LX)?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Kits not a good idea

The R-12 R-134a systems are not interchangeable.

Although many so-called "kits" give you the expansion valvesto permit cooling, what they all lack is the compressor. An R-12 compressor is not suitable for a R134a system. Plugging in one of those kits, and soon you'll find that the R12 compressor will fail.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: Kits not a good idea

birdofprey said:
The R-12 R-134a systems are not interchangeable.

Although many so-called "kits" give you the expansion valvesto permit cooling, what they all lack is the compressor. An R-12 compressor is not suitable for a R134a system. Plugging in one of those kits, and soon you'll find that the R12 compressor will fail.
Not true, if you want the the compresser to last you must change the oil in the compresser to one that in compatable with R134a. If you keep the oil that is made for R-12 you compresser will eventually lock up. I've seen many people use these kits and if done right you'll also have cold air.

·
Registered
227 Posts
3.8 special is correct, I speak from experience. I installed an interdyanamics retofit kit on my dads 92 caddy eldorado,the instructions said there is no need to change the compressor oil as the stuff in the kit is compatable with all oem factory oil,WRONG!. Although it cooled ok at first after about 3 months the cooling was getting low, when I checked the low side pressure some gray/black oil also came out of the valve. The gray/black stuff was aluminum from the compressor destroying itself. Final toll 1 compressor, 1 reciever dryer, 1 orfice tube,2 gallons of system flush,6 hours mechanic time at the caddy dealer total $1,850.00 ouch!:mad: oh I almost forgot the retrofit kit,$35.00

·
Registered
10 Posts
R12 to R134a

When my compressor failed, I had a conversion to R134a. Cost $1200. Works great. The shop also replaced all of the Ford connectors. Four were leaking.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: R12 to R134a

lahowell said:
When my compressor failed, I had a conversion to R134a. Cost $1200. Works great. The shop also replaced all of the Ford connectors. Four were leaking.
Early fords are known for ****ty connections, it was a good idea to change em!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts