TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my air conditioner was running fine before my alternator crapped out. So i replaced the alternator of course to get the car running again. Although now my air conditioner is just blowing hot air not cold at all. :(
So right now im not even using it at all. My air conditioner is rolling down the windows and drive faster lol.

I really would like the air conditioner to work again though. Does it just need a recharge or......?

Any opinions or suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I am not sure but my AC in my 95 did the same thing for a few days after the Alt change. I took it to a shop and said I blew some kind of breaker of fuse link. 50 bucks later the AC blew cold again. Maybe a fuse or something...That was back when I first got the car and was terrified to even change the oil. I just went and serched through my repair recipts and no luck on the actual repair sorry. Look in your chiltons for electrical on the AC. Could you have bumped something?

·
5,650 Posts
Well first thing to check is does the compressor clutch engage. If not, then the problem is most likely electrical. I'm willing to bet that something got messed up during the alternator swap that you didn't even realize happened. I'd check the fuses underhood and under the dash. I don't have a diagram accesible to tell you which fuses. If the system is charged up fine then one of these has to be the problem: clutch electrical connection, clutch cycling switch, fuse(s), pressure cutout switch, or the selection switch (max a/c, a/c, panel, etc.).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
funderbird said:
I am not sure but my AC in my 95 did the same thing for a few days after the Alt change. I took it to a shop and said I blew some kind of breaker of fuse link. 50 bucks later the AC blew cold again. Maybe a fuse or something...That was back when I first got the car and was terrified to even change the oil. I just went and serched through my repair recipts and no luck on the actual repair sorry. Look in your chiltons for electrical on the AC. Could you have bumped something?
ya thats what i was thinking about too.

thank you guys for the help i will look into this further :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
If the blower works, and the A/C was working right before, the compressor clutch must not be engaging. At least on my '91, the hot feed for the clutch leads from the control panel to the pressure cycling switch on the A/C accumulator. From there it goes to the wide open throttle cutout switch, nearby on the firewall. A vacuum hose connects this switch to the EGR valve, because under WOT, it shuts off both the A/C compressor and all EGR flow. You can run a jumper from the hot wire at the WOT switch to the terminal on the compressor to see if you make make the clutch coil work.

From the WOT switch, the hot feed goes to a diode. This one is a long, thin piece in the line, hidden in the harness about a foot above where it plugs onto the compressor. It protects everything upstream from the voltage spikes the clutch's magnetic coil creates every time the circuit opens. But the diode will pass current the other way--i.e. toward the clutch, and too much will fry it.

So, I'd suspect the diode first--but check the power panel by the battery and the fuse box in the car to make sure there aren't any A/C fuses or fusible links other than the fuse for the blower/control panel. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts