TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 Mercury Cougar. The climate control system was working fine, and it still puts out cold air, or hot air, depending on whether you select heating or cooling. But now when I turn on the climate control the force of air only comes out through the defroster vents and not through the dash vents no matter what position I put the selector switch on. Before, when I would switch from A/C to defroster or panel setting, you could hear a vent "door" on the passenger side near the firewall closing or opening to channel the air one way or the other to the different vents. I don't hear that sound anymore and I can't figure out where that door is located. I checked all the fuses and they look good. Is there a solenoid that controls the opening and closing of that vent door? Maybe it's just stuck in one position and needs cleaning. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
Check the vacuum line for the climate control under the hood. It that goes through the firewall at the evaporator core, and also check under the dash for a yellow vacuum line that isn't connected. It should go to a vacuum actuator on the driver's side of the air box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts