TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out digging in my shed the other day and found some R-12 that I had left over from when I had our 1984 Thunderbird. I used to charge it about every other year when we had it. Now that I have the '84 Cougar with basically the same set up I can use this in it. I still have to locate my hose kit to put it in with or I can borrow a friends.

My question is........ which AC hose in my 1984 Cougar LS 3.6 V-6 is the low pressure line? It has been way too many years since I did the Thunderbird for me to remember which line it was LOL :confused:

Before I do anything to this system I am going to try to charge it. When I turn the AC on the clutch will engage but will short cycle indicating not enough Freon in the system. If this will make it work then I am just going to keep it charged with R12. If the system has a major leak then I may consider retr-fitting it for the r134.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I stand by what I said in your other thread http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134124. Avoid the cans. Have it serviced professionally. Don't retro fit to 134a. Again that's my professional opinion, ultimately it's your choice what you do with your car.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I was out digging in my shed the other day and found some R-12 that I had left over from when I had our 1984 Thunderbird. I used to charge it about every other year when we had it. Now that I have the '84 Cougar with basically the same set up I can use this in it. I still have to locate my hose kit to put it in with or I can borrow a friends.

My question is........ which AC hose in my 1984 Cougar LS 3.6 V-6 is the low pressure line? It has been way too many years since I did the Thunderbird for me to remember which line it was LOL :confused:

Before I do anything to this system I am going to try to charge it. When I turn the AC on the clutch will engage but will short cycle indicating not enough Freon in the system. If this will make it work then I am just going to keep it charged with R12. If the system has a major leak then I may consider retr-fitting it for the r134.
The bigger line is the low pressure line, the smaller line is high pressure. Another way to tell is the low side goes from evaporator (in the passenger compartment) to compressor, the high side goes from compressor to condenser (in front of the radiator) to dryer (little can most of the time with glass eye) to expansion valve and evaporator.

·
5,650 Posts
The bigger line is the low pressure line, the smaller line is high pressure. Another way to tell is the low side goes from evaporator (in the passenger compartment) to compressor, the high side goes from compressor to condenser (in front of the radiator) to dryer (little can most of the time with glass eye) to expansion valve and evaporator.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af185/dickbragg/Interior/AC_Layout.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

These cars aren't quite configured like that. The high-pressure line exits the condenser to the liquid line with the orifice tube and then goes straight to the evaporator. After it exits the evaporator [i]then[/i] it goes to the drier/accumulator and back the compressor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts