TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 97 with out (climate control) when I put the temp control to cold and the
fan direction knob to floor or vent or defrost it blows COLD air even if it's not
on A/C. Would this be a seized pulley on the compressor ??

Thanks !!

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
My guess is the air door electro-vacuum solenoid. An electro-vacuum solenoid is used to direct source vacuum to the heater and A/C air inlet duct door. The heater and A/C air inlet duct door will close to outside air during cool/cold weather operation if the engine coolant is below approximately 45°C (113°F) . This is to prevent outside air from entering the passenger compartment when the system is not capable of heating the incoming air. The solenoid is energized to close the heater and A/C air inlet duct door to outside air only if the following conditions exist:

* control is on.
* control is set at a non-A/C position (FLOOR or VENT).
* blower knob is in the AUTO position.
* the engine coolant temperature is below approximately 45°C (113°F) .
* control assembly selected temperature is between 18°C and 29°C (65°F and 85°F) .

The solenoid will not be energized to close the heater and A/C air inlet duct door if any of the above conditions do not exist.

If the above shows a problem the solenoid is not that bad of a do-it-yourself job:

1. Lower glove compartment door.
2. Use a small screwdriver to remove clip retaining hydraulic damper strut to glove compartment door.
3. Remove electrical connector from the solenoid.
4. Remove the attaching screw and three vacuum harness nipples, remember the harness color and location.
5. Remove and replace the solenoid from A/C evaporator housing assembly.
Solenoid nipples are color coded (green for the green hose, natural for the white hose and natural nipple/black face for the black hose). Connect the hoses to the solenoid.
6. Locate solenoid bracket hole to clip hole and secure with screw.
7. Connect electrical connector to solenoid.
8. Close glove compartment door.

Good luck.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW.:eek: Thanks for the help, that was very informative !!
I'll get on it this weekend.

·
Registered
246 Posts
J.

I'm having a minor (bizarre) issue, and I'm wondering if it could be from that same solenoid (not trying to jack your thread Scott, just sounds like it might be the same thing).

When I start my car up, even though all my climate stuff is turned off, it ~sounds~ like I have air pouring through my vents, but I can't feel it anywhere. The sound is more akin to a constant wind-tunnel-like 'whoosh', like when you have your defroster on high.

This sound just sorta comes and goes on it's own, even when I'm just parked. I've checked for vacuum leaks the best I could in what little time I had last weekend with the rain we've been having. My car has not suffered any drops or abnormalities in how it drives or handles... just that bizarre sound. I thought maybe that solenoid is keeping something open and/or turned on. Thanks!

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
When I shut my car off then get out, I hear a "whoosh" too... lasts about 3 seconds or so after I shut the engine off. It sounds like it's coming from under the hood, underneath the wiper cowl... =/

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
If it is still working I will leave it be. You can perform a self test with the Auto system:

<UL><LI>To enter self test, position the blower control knob at AUTO and the Function Selector Knob in either PANEL or FLOOR. Then, press and release the COOL and OUTSIDE TEMP buttons simultaneously and, within two seconds , press and release the WARM button. The display will show a tracer segment going in a counterclockwise direction in the center of the display window during the self test. When the self test is completed, DTCs for any fault will be displayed in the VFD Window. If no faults are found, all display segments will illuminate. </LI>
<LI>To exit Self Test and RETAIN all DTCs, press the COOL (BLUE) button. </LI>
<LI>To exit Self Test and CLEAR all DTCs, press the OUTSIDE TEMP button and then press the WARM button. </LI>
<LI>After exiting the Self Test, the ignition should remain ON for at least 25 seconds to allow the A/C electronic blend door actuator to calibrate. </LI>
<LI>During normal operation, each intermittent trouble code will be deleted after 80 ignition switch cycles. </LI></UL>

Self test DTC's:
24: AC Blend door actuator
30: In-car temperature short
31: In-car temperature open
40: Ambient temperature sensor short
41: Ambient temperature sensor short
50: Sun load sensor short
51: Sun load sensor open

1 - 6 of 6 Posts