1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried search using combinations of these words:
AC
A/C
Air conditioning
Problems
Not working

With no real effect so sorry in advance if this has been covered but i couldn't find it

1996 Cougar with SATC. As one can guess the AC doesn't work. and here's the run down.

Start the car, Turn the Control knob to well any of the A/C enabled settings (MAX AC, AC, Floor/Vent, Floor/Defrost, Defrost?) you hear the AC pump click on and the cooling fan turn on but the pump pretty much instantly shuts off again and doesn't turn back on, but the cooling fan stays on?

There are two pressure switch, a Binary (on drier/accumulator) and a Trinary (on AC line from condenser).

could there still be enough pressure in the system to cause the cooling fan to turn on (and stay on?) via the trinary switch. but not enough pressure (IE pressure drops to low the instant the pump turns on) to have the AC pump turn on and cycle as normal?

Thank you in advance for any insight

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
Get some gauges on there to see what the pressures are doing. If the A/C clutch cuts out right away that means the pressure on the low side of the system is too low.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the guy that comes to our shop to charge the systems on our cars swung by for me, and sure enough it was low, also the pressure switch on the Drier itself had failed too.

After a top up and a new switch it seems to be working pretty good now, for how long who knows.. Hopefully long enough for when the Wife and I buy a new car ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts