TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this..

Hey guys;

91 sport with the 5.0, electric mark fan, running hot.
at some point I lost the air deflector that was on the brace in front of the sway bar. I am under the impression that this helps move air up to help cooling.

A buddy once told me that his firebird would overheat without the plastic deflector that pontiac used.

The queston is - does anyone know what the size of the deflector is? I want to make one out of something.

Thank you for any help.

Tim

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,853 Posts
It's 25-1/2" x 3" on mine.

It doesn't just aid cooling, it's the primary source for airflow in these cars since they're bottom breathers. Also Make sure that that "something" is as flexible as the factory one, a curb will take out anything stiffer and maybe even damage the core support in the process. One common upgrade is to use a 90s Grand Am front spoiler(sorry I don't know the specific year range) and mount it to the bumper cover just behind the rectangular cooling ducts. 89-93 SCs used a small lip spoiler there and the larger Grand Am one will cram more air into them.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Air Deflector

Ford used the same air deflector on all the 89-93 Thunderbirds..Information you might find useful if you decide to grab a used one from the junkyard..

They are riveted on the bumper though..Which makes them a pain to remove without damaging..

The dimensions for the Air Deflector are:

Length: 30-1/2"
Height: 2"
Width: 1-1/8"

Here's some pics for reference:
Air Deflector 2.JPG
Air Deflector 1.JPG
Air Deflector 3.JPG
Air Deflector 4.JPG

If you decide to make one yourself..Some 1/8" aluminum sheet would be perfect..Access to a metal bending brake would make short work of it..

There is also still some NOS available for this piece..Here's a link-->>89-93 Thunderbird Air Deflector

Here's the Ford Part Number for the Air Deflector: E9SZ-63001A06-A (E9SZ63001A06A)

It might also be beneficial for you to replace the Radiator with a new one, and check to make sure you have the spring inside your lower Radiator hose..

Also replacing your thermostat with a 180 degree unit would help out as well..

The 91-93 5.0 Thunderbirds have a tendency to get pretty hot in stock form..Especially running the AC..

The SC front bumper allows better cooling than the 91 Sport/LX front bumper..

I upgraded to the SC front bumper..
Installed a new radiator..
Installed a 180 degree Motorcraft thermostat..
Upgraded to the Mark VIII E-Fan..
Replaced radiator, and heater hoses..
*Flushed out cooling system before adding all the new parts..

After those upgrades..My 91 Sport stays cool on the hottest of days even with the AC running.. :cool:

Just some things you might want to look into after you fix your Air Deflector..

Rayo..

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's 25-1/2" x 3" on mine.

It doesn't just aid cooling, it's the primary source for airflow in these cars since they're bottom breathers. Also Make sure that that "something" is as flexible as the factory one, a curb will take out anything stiffer and maybe even damage the core support in the process. One common upgrade is to use a 90s Grand Am front spoiler(sorry I don't know the specific year range) and mount it to the bumper cover just behind the rectangular cooling ducts. 89-93 SCs used a small lip spoiler there and the larger Grand Am one will cram more air into them.
Thank you XR7, for the information, I recall it was'nt ridgid and not sure when I lost it. I haven't driven the bird much in the last 5-6 years for a bunch of reasons, some mechanical, etc. spent a bunch of time over the winter getting it to the point where I can drive it. There is something about these cars!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Ford used the same air deflector on all the 89-93 Thunderbirds..Information you might find useful if you decide to grab a used one from the junkyard..

They are riveted on the bumper though..Which makes them a pain to remove without damaging..

The dimensions for the Air Deflector are:

Length: 30-1/2"
Height: 2"
Width: 1-1/8"

There is also still some NOS available for this piece..Here's a link-->>89-93 Thunderbird Air Deflector

Here's the Ford Part Number for the Air Deflector: E9SZ-63001A06-A (E9SZ63001A06A)

It might also be beneficial for you to replace the Radiator with a new one, and check to make sure you have the spring inside your lower Radiator hose..

Also replacing your thermostat with a 180 degree unit would help out as well..

The 91-93 5.0 Thunderbirds have a tendency to get pretty hot in stock form..Especially running the AC..

The SC front bumper allows better cooling than the 91 Sport/LX front bumper..

I upgraded to the SC front bumper..
Installed a new radiator..
Installed a 180 degree Motorcraft thermostat..
Upgraded to the Mark VIII E-Fan..
Replaced radiator, and heater hoses..
*Flushed out cooling system before adding all the new parts..

After those upgrades..My 91 Sport stays cool on the hottest of days even with the AC running.. :cool:

Just some things you might want to look into after you fix your Air Deflector..

Rayo;

Thanks again for your help, you are a wealth of knowledge for the sport community.
I do have the SC front bumper on the car so I will look into the piece that you suggested. Once I get that squared away I will go down the list so I dont have any problems.

Thanks again for the education guys, I learn somehing everytime I log on to here!

Tim

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fan

Rayo;

Does your e fan "cycle" since you don't run hot? Once I reach temp the fan comes on and stays on, I am under the impression that was "normal" but figured I would ask.

I believe I have the 180* thermostat, been a while since I put the fan set up in.

Thanks again

Tim

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Rayo;

Does your e fan "cycle" since you don't run hot? Once I reach temp the fan comes on and stays on, I am under the impression that was "normal" but figured I would ask.

I believe I have the 180* thermostat, been a while since I put the fan set up in.
My Mark VIII E-Fan is on a relay/solenoid set-up kind of like this:
Mark VIII E-Fan Relay Diagram.jpg

I don't recommend this set-up unless you have upgraded the Alternator to at least a 130 Amp unit..Since the Mark VIII fan pulls so many Amps..

There's nothing wrong with a coolant sender set-up like you have...I just prefer to have the the on off control of the Mark VIII fan at my fingertips..

I'm using a Continous Duty(Echlin ST34) 200 Amp Solenoid as overkill to prevent any potential failures..

I've also eliminated the factory harness on the Mark VIII fan in favor of Insulated Female Quick Disconnect's, and 10 gauge wiring..

With the combination of Mark VIII E-Fan, 10 gauge wiring, 200 Amp Continous Duty Solenoid, and Toggle Switch..I've yet to see a failure..

Since you're using a coolant sender set-up..The fan cycling on, or off is normal..

If your engine is getting the coolant that hot..The fan will stay on until it cools the engine off enough to turn itself back off again..

Your engine must be getting pretty warm if your fan stops cycling, and just stays on continuously..

After you fix your Air Deflector..It might be a good idea to think about a few upgrades like I mentioned..

*Flush out your cooling system..
*Service(rod-out, and pressure test), or replace Radiator..
*New 180 degree Motorcraft thermostat..
*Replace heater, and radiator hoses..
*Make sure you have the Spring in the lower radiator hose..

Rayo..

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool!

Thanks Rayo.

Trying to finish up the suspension rebuild & make a decision on engine/ trans combo.
Been too busy at work & life, so re thinking it and hope To roll it out in the spring!

Thanks for your help.

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts