TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking of this as my first performance mod http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-2505-1
anybody really tried this...and is it any better than my stock air box set up?....i know that you will have warmer (engine bay heat) air being sucked into the itake with this kn setup, but you will also have more air flow with it...so i guess im wondering about any other cai/sri systems out there.

also, anybody have any problems with their maf sensor being contaminated with filter oil?

thanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
FIPKs are a waste of cash. just a couple brackets. just buy the cone by itself.

oil the filter properly and you shouldnt have any MAF problems. too much oil will foul it up and it will need to be cleaned

·
Registered
789 Posts
A stock engine can't suck that much air anyway. Wait until after some minor mods (at least intake and a tune.) And yes... it will dirty the MAF. The previous owner put a K+N in my car and after a year I replaced it with paper.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i switched back to standard paper type filter instead of the K&N......its way too dusty here and the holes in the K&N oiled cotton gauze are huge if they are visible with the bare eye.....not worth the dirt contamination in the motor

also, no you wont have more airflow with a CAI than your stock setup.....your stock paper filter can flow way more air than your stock engine will ever ask for

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I ran that filter when I first bought my car.It was a complete waste of money.My current intake is alittle better and the car responded decently in higher rpm's.But I have other mods to compliment the intake too.

Only thing not shown in this pic is my 70mm T/B and C&L Plenum which I just installed on Christmas

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good enough answers for me....stock set up it is for now.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this resonator, is it closer to the airbox side or the tb?...i had the system off to get to my spark plugs more easily.....i didnt see anthing else really in there....and im assuming its there to just quiet the air flow sound right?(hense the name)

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
^ahhhh.....just did this mod.....that damn thing is only a more narrow part of the tube??....anyway, i jacked up the passenger side of the car (after loosening the 3 bolts under the filter)pulled the splash guard back a bit and removed the whole assebly....i had to cut the glue away to remove the silencer.....so now the filter housing just dumps right down into the wheel well.....question, did anyone rig(use a rubber coupler)to the larger part of the air intake that curves upwards?....should i install that back on using a rubber coupler or is it ok where it now dumps down?

i see no fear of heat soak or hydrolock by doing this simple mod.....however i think a bit more dust could get to the filter.....so, ill be staying with my paper/fram filter over the kn pannel filter....thanks for the insight yall.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran that filter when I first bought my car.It was a complete waste of money.My current intake is alittle better and the car responded decently in higher rpm's.But I have other mods to compliment the intake too.

Only thing not shown in this pic is my 70mm T/B and C&L Plenum which I just installed on Christmas
oh and btw....that cai setup is totaly cool....well done.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Thanks.I am still trying to figure out if it was worth it.But I guess with the other mods I just added it might be benificial.We shall see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts