TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

For all of you who said it was easy removing that POC than you lied! lol

I had to freaking wrestle with the fender well to get it out the way so I could grab it, but I have a little question (well actually it’s pretty urgent).

The little
___
_ /

shaped part I figured needed to come off, but I couldn’t figure out so I just took the whole piece (removed the bolts and bolted it back directly to the air box) out, is this bad?

I notice a LOT deeper tone when revving up the engine, hell, I was just testing it out down the road and a little Lexus tried to race me (of course he lost :D) but I think it sounds sexy now!

Now, on to the EGR valve and gutting the cats and getting a new exhaust!

- Eric

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You still have the Plastic elbow you removed, right?(happy dumpster diving)... well, on the side faceing up from the bottom, you will notice two little plastic tabs....Anyhow, pop those off, the restrictor piece pops right out and the elbow goes back in the vehicle opened up from 56mm at the restriction to about 65 mm or so.....The elbowwith the flange has some special one way plastic push on retainers, on the bolts so you can remove the air box without having to go under the wheel opening to hold it in place , anyhow the retainers are rarer than hens teeth , so put em back, and restore evrything, except the neat little piece of restrictor..... its so dead nuts simple that you cant help but screw it up without a couple pictures..... LOL

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just out of curiosity what does the elbow do?

My steps.

1) Open Air Box
2) Remove Air Filter
3) Remove 3 Bolts
4) Remove Splash Guard (Mofo to work with)
5) Pull down whole unit and yank it out.
6) Put everything back together.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The elbow is a good thing to have, as it can be used to clamp a 9" conical filter onto, and the flange holds all 3 bolts in place... it also makes a less direct path for water droplets/spray to foul up the box....

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well,

I dont have the money to put a cone on yet, but I still saved the peice, would it hurt to drive around without it (minus water, rain)?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
the venturi went down to 35mm on mine, and the bolted elbow measures almost 80mm!

The major benifit of keeping the elbow is that it helps hold your air box in place and not sucking in hot engine air. I've been running mine with a panel filter int he stock location for over 20Kmiles, and not a single problem.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well,

Technically if its sucking hot air from the engine bay into the engine, my temp on the oil, etc, would raise wouldn’t it? It runs great and I love the sound, I may leave it off until she starts throwing a fit. (I'm lazy too as you've noticed).

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I left the elbow off also. Can't remember exactly how, but I used the hardware off the elbow as spacers to make sure the airbox was tight. No problems yet, and it rained here everyday for about 2 weeks (have had it off for months).

Rob

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I removed the spacer & bolts off the elbow and just stuck them up through the bottom into the air box and tightened the nuts with my hands (good luck getting a wrench up there!) and then tightened the top bolts below the air filter with a wrench, doesn’t rattle or anything, makes a mean growl too. I already have more people looking at me because my car got a lot louder, now its time for step two, new exhaust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts