TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just dont want the Cone filter for my Bird with the stock intake tube. So I
e-mailed K&N asking them if the intake kit for a 96 Mustang Gt would fit on my car and work properly. And they gave me some B.S. About how it might not be emissions friendly. THEY DIDNT EVEN ANSWER IF IT WOULD WORK OR NOT!!! So does anybody know if a Mustang Gt Intake kit from K&N will work on my 96 Lx 4.6 litre, and how much would it cost?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Just put a good panel filter in your stock airbox, and yank the air silencer, and be done with it. That's what I wish I would have done.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. Well I've got the Air Silencer out ( I didnt notice any difference in the sound) but I'd just like a K&N Intake tube because they just make that sucking noise so i feel its working better and they look better.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Can you post a link to the K&N Mustang Intake KIt.

Because if it's the K&N Fuel Injected Performance KIt (FIPK)....It's so not worth it and probably the biggest waste of money ever.

I'd say the money would be better spent on the panel filter and that's it for now. When/If you a MAF, go to the 02 GT Airbox and paper cone filter.

Just my opinion.

Dave

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just took a 99 GT air box with K&N filter and installed it with my 02 intake tube using my stock MAF. Took a few parts from Home Depot, but it works.

Was just running the cone filter from the K&N kit inside of the 99 GT airbox using stock TBird intake tube, but got the newer tube and decided to make it work since new 02 Maf won't be until net spring.

Here are the two parts I used from Home Depot:

1. 3x3 Fitting UPC 018578000216

2. Coupling 3 inch UPC 018578002647

Took the metal 3x3 coupling and discarded the metal part using just the inside rubber and connected the 02 intake tube to the stock Thunderbird MAF.

Took the Fitting and shoved it through the exit hole of the airbox so that about 2 inches was sticking out and used the factory rubber seal from the thunderbird MAF and attached it to this fitting. Meaning the part that connects your original airbox to your Maf.

Thing that still needs to be done is one to stabilize the maf and 2 to put a solid piece between the fitting and the reducer so that the clamp on the reducer has something solid to go around. The rubber fitting is formed and solid, but I prefer something more stable.

Don't know if this info will help, but worst case just give it a try on your own. I couldnt get the 57-1205-1 K&N filter to fit inside the 99 Airbox perfectly unless the bolt on the end was cut off. Didnt want to do that, so the air filter was sitting in there a bit crooked, but did work. Hope this helps!! Have a good one.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
i just installed a densecharger cold air induction on my car today with a 2000 mustang gt intake tube. sounds awesome. notcied a little better acceleration in the upper rpms. nothing to be to excited about though. check out ebay for the densecharger, its probably cheaper than the k&n thing your looking at.

Frank

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I'm ordering mine straight from Densecharger, but I have to pay $119 because I want the flange for the '02 GT MAF built in.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Yea....That's the one all of us have bought and kicked ourselves in the *** for doing.

The filter costs about 40 bucks by itself.

If you buy that kit it's 109.99, and you get a 40 dollar filter and maybe 5 dollars in bolts and a bracket

Please don't get that.

Dave

Check one of the other options we've given you.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
here's what i used. densecharger . i wouldnt recommend buying from this seller. product was perfect and as described but shipping took forever. also keep in mind with this kit, if you dont use the 02 gt maf you need to find a place to relocate the air temp sensor. thats why i bought a 2000 mustang gt intake tube because it has a air temp sensor installed in the tube.

Frank

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i'd like an intake kit and stuff like that cuz i dont just want a cone filter or mustang air box. so who would make something like that for our car or would i have to Pre-Fab my own out of Civic intake tube?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does that go down into the hole where the air silencer went? Cuz it doesnt look like it'd hook right up to the Throttle.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
mac makes a chrome cold air intake for ours cars (96-97's).

frank

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Winty787 said:
Does that go down into the hole where the air silencer went? Cuz it doesnt look like it'd hook right up to the Throttle.
the filter goes int he fender where the silencer was. it doesnt hook up to the throttle body. it connects to the maf. thats why i also installed a 2000 mustang gt intake tube. the densecharger kit is just a maf forward system.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Check out this link if you have $180 to burn. You get a filter with it. Too much $ for my book and nothing has proven to out flow the GT box and tube in cfm ratings that I am aware of. That's my reasoning for going with it.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46286

Next setup will be a tube from a powerstroke that has been cut and had the fittings installed. It will look just like the above tube in the link, but only cost about $35 including paint, but minus the filter.

If you use that tube or any tube with the filter just sitting under the hood make sure to put it in some sort of box to keep the hot air from being sucked back in to the engine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll check with my local performance shop and see if he can get me 10% off that. Cuz I really like that for the reason that i dont have to buy two seperate Air induction kits.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
You '96-97 guys are spoiled. I've got 3 options. RichardM tube, Civic Tube, or cut GT tube. And that only takes me to the MAF, after that, they are all the same though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts