TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at adding rear air shocks to my 96 T-Bird. I need to tow a trailer at times and would like to pump up the back as needed.
Would the alignment be affected by this? Gabriel and Monroe make good shocks, would the Gabriel be better?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
AirRide makes a bag system for the springs...it may help. Someone posted using an air shock that had the same free length as the hydraulic shocks used for the bird since they are 'posed to have an external air pressure resevior.

sorry, to tell you, but a search may yield some more info.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
i think you would be better off with those Orange Air Lift springs inside the stock coils. putting an air shock in the stock shock location is putting all the extra load you are carrying into the shock mount. I think that is bad idea. my opinion

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great Answers......Now I Need details

Bagged89, great point about the extra stress on the shock mounts. I agree totally.

Racecougar, ya just had to show me another way to spend my money. Give me details on your instalation. It looks pretty straight forward but looks can be decieving.
I am in the St Louis area all the time for work (live in Kansas City) so we may have to get together at some point so I can look ate that set up.

I am looking on-line for the right kit for my bird but any info or tips are always appreciated.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
I just installed the Air lift spring inside the rear coil of my Trailblazer. Different car but they work great. I haven't toes with it yet but it lifts it about 2.5". It feels totaly different with them installed even with no air in them.

·
The Parts Guy
7,338 Posts
It is pretty straight forward. You need to drill a hole in the center of the spring cup on each lower control arm for the air line to pass through. Then, force the airbag between two coils to get it inside the spring. Hook up and run the air lines, and you're done.

Summit racing sells the kits. 89-91's use AIR-60789, 92-97's use AIR-60776.

If you want to meet up sometime, just send me a PM. I'm just south of St. Louis, in Imperial, MO.

-Rod

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!!!

Both of you have been a great help.

I am ordering the Air Lift bags today and will install them (with new shocks) probably next weekend.
The install instructions are easy as can be. Wish they came in black so ya didnt see them so easy. Oh well.

Another great example of asking questions before ya just go ahead and mess somthing up. You guys made this simple and fairly cheap too.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
for the trailblazer they are Blue :D

my understanding is that the color relates to the dia of the bag. They need to be large enough to just barely touch the coil so they can squish in between them when the are aired up and add the extra support for each coil to sit against.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have the Air Lift bags and they work great for the extra loads. Since we have IRS it has been suggested that each one should have it's own fill valve instead of using a Tee to one valve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts