TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I couldn't find anything like this, so here's how I removed mine. These steps are from a 92 3.8 Bird. May or may not be 100% the same for other applications)
1.) Disconnect harness running to MAF
2.) Open airbox and either take lid off the intake tube, or just bend the tube so it's out of the way. You should be able to catch it on the coolant tank. Make sure not to bump this, as it could fly back and strike you
3.) Remove air filter
4.) Remove the three nuts holding the bottom half of the air box
5.) At this point, you have the easiest access to the air silencer. You should be able to stick your fist into the opening in the sheet metal, into the air silencer, push down, and it should give way. It is held in by several little plastic tab things
6.) Raise the car and remove the right wheel
7.) Loosen the inner splash guard. There should be two screws on the bumper cover, and two plastic clips that needed to be removed. one just in front of the suspension, and one right on the top of the splash guard
8.) Pull the splash guard back. This will be the hardest pard, jimmying the guard past the bumper cover
9.) Once you get the cover out of the way, the air silencer should come right out, if you got it loose earlier. If not, pull it down to dislodge it, then remove it
10.) While the splash guard is out of the way, this is a good time to get some new bolts, washers needed, to secure to bottom half of the air box inside the engine compartment. Make sure they're plenty long
11.) The removal is complete. Slip the splah guard back into place and reattach all fasteners
12.) Reinstall the wheel. Torque spec is around 100 ft./lbs.
13.) Lower the car
14.) Put your air filter back in, clip the upper half of the air box onto the bottom half, reattact the MAF
15.) You're done

·
Registered
958 Posts
why take the wheel off??? i didn't have to.......i didn't even jack it up or ramp it......its really not that complicated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just dropped the plastic splash panel under the front of the car and the air resonator dropped right out, no hassle.

It only added about 15 minutes to the oil change time... I had the car on ramps anyway and it seemed like the right time to do something about the restriction.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mybird_91 said:
why take the wheel off??? i didn't have to.......i didn't even jack it up or ramp it......its really not that complicated.
Well, if you happen to have the car in the air anyways...Work smarter, not harder

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Pretty much the same way I did mine, only I didn't bother taking the maf harness off. I had enough room to work as it was.

glenn petsin said:
Where have I seen this before? I'm not sure and I can't put my finger on this. Can someone help me out.
Probably saw it here

mybird_91 said:
As was mentioned before hand, work smarter, not harder. For the amount of time I would have spent wrestling with mine, it was worth the extra minute or two it took me to take it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts