TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive read the mn12performance how to, im just wondering when you remove it, do you have to put anything in its place (tubes ect) also it is the thing that is directly below the air box, correct?

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you pull the silencer then you need to replace the three screws that are on the silencer because that is what holds the air box in. Be sure that you check you air filter more ofen also because the dirt build-up is accelerated after you do this. You should be able to goto Lowe's (Jimmy Johnson RULEZ) or Home Depot (Tony Stewart DROOLZ) with the silencer and get sombody to help you find the screws that you would need and to fender washers to go along with that. Then you are good to go. There are after market "cold air" systems but you really won't see any improvement over the gaping intake you will have after you remove the intake.

Happy Removal :D
Thundercat

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Yea, it's the thing directly below the airbox. Looks like this:

It's not really that hard to do, I mean I did it!

Good luck, and it sounds really good once you get it out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Also, you don't need to worry about securing the airbox since there's pretty much no place for it to go. Second, if you're worried about dust, go with a K&N panel filter.

·
Registered
344 Posts
hey this is what i did....K & N panel filter, remover air silencer (big difference in sound and could feel small power gain) and then go to home depot and buy the 3"(i think 3") black drainage pipe and rig it into ur airbox hole....run it to the fender and u have the homemade ram air. i felt a big power gain at high RPMs

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so do i have to get that drainage pipe or is that only if i want home made ramair, i want to remove it and see how much i gain does the air silencer connect to any thig, other than the air box? Can i just remove the air box from under the hood instead of going thru the splash gard? (removing the air box first)

thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well, to get the air silencer out, you have to go through the splashguard. Technically, you do not have to remove the air box, only take the top off and the filter out to get at the bolts that hold the air silencer in tact.

You only need the drainage pipe if you want a homemade ram air system.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Why replace the bolts.

When I removed the Air silencer from my 95 LX 4.6, I re-used the original three bolts that hold the bottom half of the air box in place. I removed the plastic pipe in front of the air silencer, plus the air silencer piece itself. I left the plastic piece that works with the three bolts. If I can, I will snap a picture later today of what I removed.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I removed the whole bottom on my 95. All 3 pieces. I just bought the parts for my ram air though. Cost me 8 bucks. I have it all put together, im just waiting for my dad to go out of town and a kn panel. Also, I never put those three bolts back on the bottom, My airbox feels solid and it doesn't move. Should I put those back on? Also, they look different on almost every year. Mine looked nothin like the one posted on this post.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
actually on second thought i think i might try the ram air can you tell me what you did, where did you run the hose after you connected it to the airbox?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went to the hardware store.....

and bought a 3'' to 4'' rubber connector that had hose clamps on it. Then I bought a 4'' pipe that curves 90 degrees. Cost me about $10 bucks. Went home and put it all together. The silencer part that I used was a very tight fit for the rubber connector but it does fit.
:p

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Amp said:
How much HP does removing the air silencer increase? (W/O the homemade ram air)
I felt no gain at all, and I installed a K&N panel filter. Tried a cone, felt a LOSS of power, so I switched back. The gain is that you can HEAR your engine when you give it gas. at idle/cruising it is no louder than stock.

I've heard it effects exhaust tone, but I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Here is a photo of what I removed from my 95 LX 4.6 air intake system

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I didn't really feel a change in performance, but the intake sound made it a worthwhile mod. I also didn't feel a need to bolt the airbox back in, but just in case I added a single bolt in there that I got from the local hardware place. You can bolt it from the top of the air box and it should only cost like $1 for a bolt and screw.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I don't understand why everyone says you have to change out the bolts. I didn't, I'm still using the stock bolts.

Here's how they work. Its just one long bolt through a rubber block. On each end are nuts. One nut on each holds on the air silencer while the other holds the airbox into the car. When you unbolt the air silencer from the airbox and pull it out of the car, takea close look at the bolts around the blocks of rubber and you'll see what I mean. Its quite simple really, and seems to be less of a PIA to me than trying to find a set of nuts and bolts that will easily fit the stock bolt holes. Just use the stock bolts!

EDIT: But this was done on a 95 4.6 bird. After looking at the air silencer for that 91 5.0 bird, I can understand needing to change the bolts. And I think I might actually try doing the home made ram air and seeing what it'll do for me.

·
Registered
935 Posts
NO Hp gains from doing this...

I think Greenbird summed it up when he replyed to Amp. When I first did mine I was like I can hear it sucking in the air....=/... It's a mind game. It sounds way better but as for improvement in HP it's as good as putting in Super Plus in at the pump!

Now to a question: Since my 3.8 doesn't have a MAF if I put a 9" cone on or ram air would it even help me? My car doesn't use a MAF to regualte air flow so what would be the gain?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Amp said:
How much HP does removing the air silencer increase? (W/O the homemade ram air)
Nothing noticeable at all, espically at lower RPM's. You *MIGHT* gain a tiny bit, if hell froze over, at the midrange since the air you're pulling is a tiny bit colder than the engine air, but nothing that a dyno could accurately measure. It's all for sound, IMO. In the mid-upper rpms, I can now hear my engine.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did it this morning, very easy the hardest part was pulling it thru the splash gard
it sounds great!
thanks for the help

1 - 20 of 27 Posts