TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
TrevorSmith said:
i was wondering if there was an easier way to yank the air silencer than this because i would love to do it but i really dont want to have to take off the fender
The fender is not removed ONLY the Inner Plastic Fender Shield :D Just make sure
your car is secured wth jack stands :eek:

Enjoy your new free power :ztoohot:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is the difference noticable enough to go to the bother or removing the fender and all that stuff, or should i just leave it?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, sounds easy enough does anyone have a picture of the airsilencer still in the car so i know what i am "yanking" out

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
TrevorSmith said:
ok, sounds easy enough does anyone have a picture of the airsilencer still in the car so i know what i am "yanking" out
Hey buddy, don't try to make this harder than it is. Okay what you need to do is open the box where your air filter is and look IN THE HOLE.

Is there a black spot and you can't see down it? That means your air silencer is still there there is THREE bolts holding it to the airbox. It is a little tight and BE CAREFUL, do not get pissed, because METAL BITES HARD.

Just get a really small wrench and try to jiggle each of the nuts out. It takes about 30 mins tops. I never removed anything (tire, sheilds, nothing).

Best of luck, and don't hesitate to ask,

John

·
Registered
793 Posts
ROFLMAO Gotta admire you Hardin County boys! Right to the point, no holds barred! Keep up the great posts!
:uppoint:
Sideoiler
Metalbassist03 said:

Hey buddy, don't try to make this harder than it is. Okay what you need to do is open the box where your air filter is and look IN THE HOLE.

Is there a black spot and you can't see down it? That means your air silencer is still there there is THREE bolts holding it to the airbox. It is a little tight and BE CAREFUL, do not get pissed, because METAL BITES HARD.

Just get a really small wrench and try to jiggle each of the nuts out. It takes about 30 mins tops. I never removed anything (tire, sheilds, nothing).

Best of luck, and don't hesitate to ask,

John

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sideoiler said:
ROFLMAO Gotta admire you Hardin County boys! Right to the point, no holds barred! Keep up the great posts!
:uppoint:
Sideoiler
I try :) (Did you used to live in Hardin Co. ? )

Just wanted to give him a clear cut answer :D

Get it out yet?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:

I try :) (Did you used to live in Hardin Co. ? )

Just wanted to give him a clear cut answer :D

Get it out yet?
I was raised in Evansville, Ind., and spent my summers on my uncle's tobacco farm in Hopkinsville. Funny I never made it to Harlin County untill years later when my old car club in Ma. (Wheels of Time) made a trip down to Louisville and somebody in the club knew about a place in Elizabethtown that had some old cars they showed to the public. I can't remember the name of the place but "Swopes" or something like that comes to mind. I had to act as an interpreter for the New England boys cause they couldn't understand much of what the folks there were saying. Of course I could easily understand the words, "Godda**ed loud mouthed Yankees", they were saying. But, I kept it to myself, not wanting to see multiple bruises on my friend's heads and bodies. :D

We're thinking about leaving the state because of Ivan and I just told my wife I think we're going to visit family in Hopkinsville and I'll make a run with the wife over to Elizabethtown to show her the town. My club spent a couple of days there and I sure liked the people. Guess you can transplant a rebel like me, but you can't make me grow Yankee limbs. :D
Sideoiler

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, after about 45 minutes of struggling i finally managed to pull out a piece that i think is the air silencer. please tell me that this is what i wanted to pull out

i am also going to go and get a K&N air filter and it should be as good as a cold air intake, right?

thanks for everyones help

----TrevoR

·
Registered
357 Posts
OMG, I can't beleive you mistoke the air silencer for that. I sure hope you didn't drive your car without that thing. You better go outside right now and put that back in before you really mess up your car.

Naw I'm just kidding, thats it.

:D

·
Banned
28 Posts
TrevorSmith,
DON'T WASTE your money on a k&n filter. It will just oil down your Mass Air Sensor. I ran my car with and without the stock air filter and saw NO difference in 1/4 mile times. If you make serious horsepower (over 500) you may gain a few more but for a stock engine, your money is better spent elsewhere, like on the exhaust or differential.
IMHO.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
In my experience, and opinion, the only way to get oil on your MAF sensor is to apply too much oil to your filter. I have used a K&N filter for the past year and never had problems with oil fouling.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
dstock22 said:
OMG, I can't beleive you mistoke the air silencer for that. I sure hope you didn't drive your car without that thing. You better go outside right now and put that back in before you really mess up your car.

Naw I'm just kidding, thats it.

:D

Thanks man, I needed that. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts