TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching the forums on all the posts regarding the air silencer my question is once it is off is it essential to replace it with an air filter or is taking it off and nothing more fine? Basically, after taking off the silencer is it bad to not replace it with a new filter.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
the air silencer is completely different than the filter. you remove the silencer...and you're done :) It attaches to the bottom of the airbox with the filter inside...

you could replace your filter with a K&N filter tho, if you havent already

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool, thanks good to know. Now I'm going to have to get under there and take a look at this when I do my oil change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is the same thing I did when I changed my oil last time and The engine light stayed on for about three days then I took my car out and maxed it out and the light hasn't been on since. Don't understand it but it worked!?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Removing the air silencer should not set off any check engine codes...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't know why the light came on because everything that I unplugged I plugged right back in so it wouldn't that but lately I have been having the problem that until the car warms up or I really put the hammer down while taking off a couple of times it hesitates when I rev the engine and when I accelerate I figured this summer when I am home from school I would have to take it to my ford dealership and have them check it out!? But, the engine light isn't coming on anymore so who knows why it hapened!?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Clean your MAF.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
With this talk about the silencers, I hope you guys understand that you're not supposed to remove EVERYTHING below the airbox. The tube is good to be there as it properly directs air up into the airbox. The part you need to remove is the venturi type restriction in that tube. THAT is the silencer, not the tube itself. There have been pictures posted before so I suggest somebody find them. :D

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sir William,

I thought the tech article instructed to remove the entire tube. I pitched mine about a year ago. I wondered about the effects of water getting into the intake, but I haven't had any problems....

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I use a panel filter with my modified silencer. I left the top part alone, got a 3" to 4" rubber connector, a 4" 90* PVC bend and strapped it all together.

Of course different years/engines are going to have different silencers and sometimes it's a big box that you can't take apart and reuse the good stuff.

·
Registered
57 Posts
you're fine with the panel filter, nothing has changed there, you might want to get a higher flow filter, like K&N or a NAPA GOLD, the napa gold is paper and won't get oil on your MAF sensor and has only a very small difference in air flow compared to a K&N filter, it also filters better, check out the articles on bobistheoilguy.com to see the tests they'v done.

Once I get the money I'll be doing this too and adding a cold air ram connected directly to the filter/intake box, total mod including the air filter shouldn't cost you more than 30 bucks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of what this thing looks like? I'm planning on hunting my air silencer down agfter work.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
There is at least 3 different versions. Yours should be a big frikkin box with a trumpet looking horn towards the headlight since you have a 3.8.

Just look in that fender, anything that is big and plastic is the air-silencer, the only other things that are up in there are a few lines.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
All I put back were the 3 bolts to hold down the air box. I've got a K&N panel filter, and that's all I plan to do. Its a PITA to keep going into the fender to clean a K&N Cone in a CAI configuration.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
The inner cone is the restrictive part and you really won't be doing anything by putting it back in. Not that removing it really does much either but I really don't see the point in taking everything but the restriction off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My was a big box. What I did was take out the box and on either end of it, it had tubular inserts that I removed. Then I sawed of the front of the box where there was just a little hole. I put a screen on it. So, now I do not have any restrictions other than the hole in the metal between the engine compartment and the fender well. I did this just to direct the air in, but I didn't really notice any difference from the silencer box on, to the silencer box off, to my modified silencer box. It can't hurt though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts