TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was about to go yank my air silencer when I came across an article in my MM&FF mag. The guy said he didn't yank his becuase he lived in California. Now I live in Cali, and was wondering, is it illegal to pull it out? Will I not pass smog if I do?

·
Registered
299 Posts
The part doesnt have much if at all to do with emissions. It was added by Ford to keep noise levels down. Without it there is a lot more noise when you are under throttle.

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
Upgrade said:
Without it there is a lot more noise when you are under throttle.
Fond Of Resonating Decibels.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But is removing it against California Law? (Remember, almost anything is against California law. Damn libbers.)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Technically I bet there is some paragraph in CARB regulations that makes it illegal. However, it will not effect emissions, so I HIGHLY doubt anyone (even a smog tester) would bother you about it. They are more worried about cats and correctly tuned vehicles.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, thanx.

·
Registered
299 Posts
And unless they want to rip out the fender well lining and take a peek under there, then it won't even be noticed. The intake box covers up the hole so you cant see down in there.

·
Registered
244 Posts
also, mine did not get that much louder. some louder yes, but nothing i could hear inside the car. emissions doubt it to the 99% level.

·
Registered
299 Posts
When I ripped out the silencer and the case and put on my K&N cone, It screamed when I mashed the throttle. Sounded wonderful.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Jurgen said:
i didt hear a thing when i took my air silencer out but when i put the K&N cone with
the L-maf and got the rest of the stuff , thats a different story

check my site
http://jurgens94bird.streetracing.org/
That is the same for me. The cone filter gave me the loud whining. Wasn't the resonator removal. Resonator removal is a no cost way to get part of the sound that the cone filter addition does.

IMHO. :)

Brad

·
Registered
222 Posts
IT IS LEGAL

My Cat is still registered in Cali, (gotta love school exemptions...) THere are no rules to the intake other than that there has to be a CARB registered MAF. They could care less about the air silencer. You are all good. Now, where you may have problems is whethere or not you have all of the needed smog equipment. If you don't Cali won't register it until it does... (Yeah, sucks don't it?)

Thundercat

·
Registered
50 Posts
hey windowmaker2k
yank the damn thing out, i also lived in California and have my smog 2 or 3 time already with no problem. where are in CA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts