TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i was to move my air filter down to the bumper in the bottom cut outs and then put fog lights u think that it would be point less to move it in to there wit the lights. thanks

Friz

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but will the light get in the way of the filter and would u think its a good idea to leaave it where it is and just remove the silencer

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
So you're saying you want to add fog lights to the bottom opening in the bumper, and put your air filter in the bottom opening too? Why would you do that when the filter gets the same air as it would from the fenderwell? Outside air is outside air and there is no such thing as ram air. As long as you aren't sucking in hot air from the engine bay, then there is no reason to take the intake out of the fenderwell.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok that could be true but im assuming that there would be no better hp gain so i might as well leave it as is but just take out the air silencer. Ive seen it done before so maybe its a little better performance wise.

·
Registered
694 Posts
your putting in a cold air intake right? I have one on mine... ive drove thru all kinds of rain and stuff... no probs at all. my filter is maybe one or two feet back from that opening under the wheel well... haven't had any probs with water being sucked in. Ive heard it takes a cup of water about to screw something up... last time i checked water doesnt travel upward very well lol. Unless you bottom out in a huge puddle

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
couger ricer,

Do you get better performance by doin that or no? Like is it a big change that you could notice or would you recomend just leaving it as is. I just want to get something to make my car flow better. True dual exhaust is coming soon. Im just waitin till the summer comes before i do that.

Friz

·
Registered
22 Posts
I took the Air silencer out of mine... and cut out some of the plastic blocking air from comming in. I'm getting a nice cold air intake soon that will be put 2-3 feet from the ground. Seems like a solid set-up to try.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Everyone keeps talking about cold air intake, he is trying to get a ram air intake.

Remove the silencer no matter what you do. It's actually a sound resonator that dampens the vibrations made from their air getting sucked in to silence the intake hiss. It does restrict some air flow remove it.

As for ram intake, vs cold, vs stock box. I never made a true ram intake, but you would need alot of tubing and want to start replacing from the maf down at least and send that toward the bumper as you describe. If you do this and say drive on the highway with a cone in that area and it is raining hard, you can potentially flood your engine, but the idea behind the ram intake is your forcing air into the intake by attempting to scoop up the air your cutting through while driving. If that makes sense. So when I thought of this, I thought of puddles, and also that anything beyond 55 is when wind resistance makes a difference to mpg, or wind resistance starts to show. beyond 55 is when the forced induction will show best, others will argue with me and that's fine as I never had this type, but I am told it gives a good performance 'feel', dyno will not reflect any of this because vehicle is still.

I bought a kit off ebay for cold air intake from maf down to fender wall with a cone. air charge sensor never fit right in the thing, so there was a vacuum leak immediately, still used it with a K&N filter, but got fed up with it and went back to stock box with K&N panel filter. I did not notice a ton of difference except that I can easily clean the panel filter, and cleaning the conicle would mean I need to take the front right wheel off for about 30-60 mins while I clean the darned thing and than let it dry after the recharge, no thanks. So yeah I never cleaned the old one, and some people do this and just shake it. After 1.5 years it was bad looking and semi dented from the fender wall it butted up against.

In the end do whatever you want, but I choose the panel in the end because I don't believe the cone I had worked as it should have, and I really in the end regret having probably ran my car with a minor vacuum leak after the cone because the aic hole was too far away for the sensor to fit propery.

P.S. if the aic sensor is telling your car the intake is taking in air that is closer to engine heat, and you are taking in air that is much cooler from the fendor, your fuel/air ratio will be off as colder air requires less gas for same hp. if you add more gas to the same cold air than your going to run rich and it will feel 'stronger' but your going to foul something up.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I put a K+N cone filter on mine several years ago. But I didn't box it in like you should (to keep the under hood air out). It got louder. I thought it was running better because it sounded faster. But after some time, the novelty wore off, and I really did notice a differance. It ran like a dog in hot weather (meaning all day and hot nights), and myr mpg dropped:(. So, after about two years (because I didn't feel like it), I removed my 124.99 K+N filter charger and put the air box back in with my old 40.00 K+N panel filter, sans the silencer. The nice idle is back, my mpg is up about two mpg, and it still sounds bad, I mean good ;).

·
Registered
249 Posts
I put a K+N cone filter on mine several years ago. But I didn't box it in like you should (to keep the under hood air out). It got louder. I thought it was running better because it sounded faster. But after some time, the novelty wore off, and I really did notice a differance. It ran like a dog in hot weather (meaning all day and hot nights), and myr mpg dropped:(. So, after about two years (because I didn't feel like it), I removed my 124.99 K+N filter charger and put the air box back in with my old 40.00 K+N panel filter, sans the silencer. The nice idle is back, my mpg is up about two mpg, and it still sounds bad, I mean good ;).
The sound does seem the same for me as well.

·
Registered
343 Posts
wanna get it to flow better, throw away that whole intake manifold, the cams and the heads while you're at it.....without doing so, it wont flow "better"

I would agree on this as well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts