TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I buy this tight running 97 4.6 Thunderbird a few weeks back, and really like the car. Runs real strong. But like any other 20 year old car, it does have a few small bugs. One of which is that the yellow airbag warning light keeps flashing. So I come up with the easy fix. Just pull the bulb.
So I remove the dash panels around the gauge cluster and pull the bulb. Its a very easy process. I then put everything back together, thinking all well. Welp, not so.
Now when I start the car, a very loud alarm buzzes about 20 times. Its coming from behind the glove box. This is much more annoying them the flashing yellow light !
I now figure there must be a disconnect under there for whatever is making this horrible buzzing noise.
Do you mean to tell me the system knows when the bulb is out, and sends off an alarm instead?
I guess tomorrow I'll look around under there and try to determine where the alarm sound is coming from.
Anybody have any experience in this area ?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,512 Posts
Well it is a mandated safety feature and such things tend to have redundancy built in. If your bulb goes out, as incandescent bulbs inevitably will, and a fault occurs in the airbag system, it now can't be communicated to you the driver to diagnose and fix it. So yes, by design a noise will encourage you to fix the bulb which encourages you to fix the problem.

Fix the problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
BTW, if the airbag module is unplugged, there may be issues that could lead to the bags deploying when you plug the box back in and power it up.

To properly test the system, you need the correct airbag simulators, which is why my box and bags are still unplugged.

Also, if you ever hit something in the front, DO NOT stomp your foot; the safing sensor is in the drivers kickpanel, and kicking it while the front sensor is on will blow the bags. :)

·
Administrator
8,218 Posts
I had to replace the module in mine last year because of the flashing light, pretty easy fix.

I would pull the module out and open it up to see what it looks like.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I dont plan on ever plugging the box back in, so can you please tell me how to disable the system, alarm included.
Advice removed because it's illegal in a lot of places.

I would fix it right, and not disable a safety system, myself. I'm still working on one, but it's not being driven right now.

The flashing light is flashing a code; post it up, and we can figure out what the problem is with a simple search.

Typing This simple search into the google finds the list:

airbag codes ford thunderbird site tccoa.com

https://forums.tccoa.com/6-general-tech/136633-air-bag-codes.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot Grog, but I just beat you to it. I just came in from doing what you said, and all is well. No more alarm buzz. Thank you anyway.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
BTW, it's illegal in many states to sell a car with disabled airbags.

Disabling the light is against federal law.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
38 Posts
OK. My 95 has the flashing airbag light problem too. The code is for the clockspring which is not available anywhere. Currently the fix is a piece of silicone tape over the window in front of the annoying flashing light. Where do you go when parts are not available?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,512 Posts
OK. My 95 has the flashing airbag light problem too. The code is for the clockspring which is not available anywhere. Currently the fix is a piece of silicone tape over the window in front of the annoying flashing light. Where do you go when parts are not available?
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-clock-spring-f7az14a664ba

The basic clock spring fits multiple applications, gen 2 and 3 Taurus, SN95 Mustangs, 90s Crown Vic’s etc. use the same clockspring(and steering column as a whole)I source these things from Junkyards if I can’t find new, clocksprings don’t tend to fail unless the airbag went off or the wheel was turned while disconnected from the steering rack during replacement of it or the rag joint.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks! It's the same basic part number that I get out of my service manual. Don't know why I couldn't get it to come up in any of my searches.
Think this is a corrosion problem. Cool damp days I'd get the airbag warning light. If I shut the car off and restarted it the light would usually go out. This would usually be on the first start of the day. Hot dry days it was less of a problem.

·
Registered
1996 ford thunderbird 4.6L V8 tan interior
37 Posts
Thanks a lot Grog, but I just beat you to it. I just came in from doing what you said, and all is well. No more alarm buzz. Thank you anyway.
Thanks! It's the same basic part number that I get out of my service manual. Don't know why I couldn't get it to come up in any of my searches.
Think this is a corrosion problem. Cool damp days I'd get the airbag warning light. If I shut the car off and restarted it the light would usually go out. This would usually be on the first start of the day. Hot dry days it was less of a problem.
so how did you fix the alarm sound?? Don’t feel like tinkering with alarm safety system just want the stupid beep sound gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts