TCCoA Forums banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

Registered
I spoke with Anthony directly and he said they are eliminating the torque rod/strut rod and going to a true A-arm lower. They are estimating $1400 for the new design. For k-member, arms, and mounts.

I've already placed my orders. I'll be waiting they anticipate anywhere between 6 and 12 weeks for completion of this project.

Beer and Cheese
1996 Thunderbird Sport Coyote Swap
I would be interested in buying a another one if they made them in chromoly. I haven't had any issues with my mild steel piece, but stronger the better.

Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
Do these require motor mounts from a different chassis, or MN12 specific? Or custom?

If making a new A-arm design, can we assume tubular and lighter than the LCA and strut rod setup by a substantial amount?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Do these require motor mounts from a different chassis, or MN12 specific? Or custom?

If making a new A-arm design, can we assume tubular and lighter than the LCA and strut rod setup by a substantial amount?
These would use motor mounts also made by AJE. They sell mounts for many different engines, so a side benefit is that you could easily bolt any engine you want into the car as long as you have their corresponding mount.

Administrator
I spoke with Anthony directly and he said they are eliminating the torque rod/strut rod and going to a true A-arm lower. They are estimating $1400 for the new design. For k-member, arms, and mounts.

I've already placed my orders. I'll be waiting they anticipate anywhere between 6 and 12 weeks for completion of this project.
Very, very interested. How do I get my name on the list? So you've placed your order but pricing hasn't been finalized?

Do you think we could we work up a group buy with a group price? How many orders or serious inquiries do they already have?

Registered
I'm also very interested as the body shop will have to weld in the box I cut it for my oil pan, and I'm hoping I may be able to lower the motor versus raising it, to then lower the K to compensate.

Registered
Very, very interested. How do I get my name on the list? So you've placed your order but pricing hasn't been finalized?

Do you think we could we work up a group buy with a group price? How many orders or serious inquiries do they already have?
You have to call and talk with Anthony directly for more info, I definitely wouldn't mind saving a few $. I knew I missed out this parts a couple of times before and AJE hadn't made any in awhile, they previously wanted a minimumof 10 units guaranteed. It seems they have less than a handful prepaid or deposited. To guarantee your purchase he requested half down payment for production and remaining half due at completion. So since I ordered two I basically prepaid for one.

Anthony told me he discontinued production on these due to complaints with the previous design and wanted to ditch the strut rod/torque arm style completely to accommodate something more robust since control arms were bending at the lower shock mounting area. He said the very last few produced got beefed up lower arms with gussets to prevent failure.

Previously they were far to busy with high selling orders and stated they finally had enough time and demand to start over between tbird and mark viii guys.

He said that they will eventually list them on the website and they may go for more than what he is offering now but since this is the intro back into it pricing complete with k-member, mounts, and arms were going to be $1400. He seemed pretty confident in that number.

If I didn't have prior obligations currently financially I would have prepaid in full on both units, but my understanding was putting half down guarantees production for my units.

He also guarantees warranty on defects for 2 years with some extensions based on installation date and mileage on a case by case basis.

Also to reiterate what someone else said before. Leaving a message or email is pretty much useless. The only forward momentum I've seen is with talking with him directly. I'm led to believe Anthony is the owner and he seemed very honest and straightforward answering many questions I had regarding this purchase.

Hope this helps others. I also hope I'm paying what others were quoted lol.

Administrator
I'll run this by Rob. He would have to do the swap for me and he's up to his neck in alligators. He can barely fit me in for a water pump swap let alone a K member swap.

I plan to finally get down to his shop on Friday. I've hit delay after delay getting this done.

Super Moderator
Is there a basket that allows your SVO to fit a coyote?
That would really rock!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I'll run this by Rob. He would have to do the swap for me and he's up to his neck in alligators. He can barely fit me in for a water pump swap let alone a K member swap.
But here鈥檚 the thing- the tubular k member swap will make future service sooo much easier. This mod isn鈥檛 just for you, it鈥檚 for anyone doing service work. ;)

Reactions: Trunk Monkey

Registered
This member is really a problem solver in that sense of more room. Will allow power steering and exhaust clearances. Steering shaft allowance.
Not to mention a much more rigid front suspension.
Has any one used the QA1 coil overs ???

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I鈥檓 guessing this should also allow for aftermarket oil pans.

Reactions: Zep5.0

Registered
Well, against better judgement, I have one ordered as well馃榿. Instead of paying someone to box in the stock member and pairing or powder coating it, I figured I wasn't spending that much more. Plus I can sell the OEM LCA and strut rods that I bought from Ian to help someone else out.

Premium Member
Considering this. Do the lower arms use rod ends? Don't really care for those in a daily driven street car, would prefer bushings.

Registered
Considering this. Do the lower arms use rod ends? Don't really care for those in a daily driven street car, would prefer bushings.
I asked this and he said bushings. Was just verifying I wouldn't lose any adjustments and he said the recently did this same change for Mopars with a strut rod setup. For some reason I was thinking they were A arm with the torsion bar in them like a Chevy truck.

Registered
And the price is still $1400. They are 10-12 weeks out. Going to get 10 or more orders, but they will make them. He said they make a 150ish members a month. A seasoned vet can make 15/day. Hoping they can make 2-3 per day off these initially until they get the process down.

Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
I asked this and he said bushings. Was just verifying I wouldn't lose any adjustments and he said the recently did this same change for Mopars with a strut rod setup. For some reason I was thinking they were A arm with the torsion bar in them like a Chevy truck.
Interesting, that price is way too steep for me but that is a much more appealing product in that configuration.

Strut rods were only really shunned by GM in the 60s and 70s except for the 62-67 Chevy II/Nova. Fords, Mopars and AMC(more in a reverse configuration) all used them since there鈥檚 an inherent ride comfort aspect to them people wanted back then. Looking at the AJE made for A bodies though I鈥檓 still not sure how caster is supposed to be adjusted.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Should I or the mods re-title this thread?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts