TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just found out my Wife is on assignment to Ft Wainwright (ARMY) in Fairbanks Alaska and I'm trying to decide to either take the Cougar or not. I know if I do I need to "Winterize" it but I have never lived in a cold climate so I don't exactly know what that means? So if any one could help me out it would be great. I know some of you have actually lived in Ak. (like Kodiak Kid) so if you could give me your honest opinnion on how it really is up there I would like to know cause at this moment I am not looking forward to going but I am usally a negative person about these things. We will be getting there at the end of March 2006. Thank you guys!!!

-Fabian

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
my sister was born on that base... I lived up there (Eielson AFB to be exact) for a few years...

summers get to about 60-70 during a heat wave, winters get EASILY to 40-60 below zero... GET A BLOCK HEATER FOR YOUR CAR!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Former stepfather was stationed at the Anchorage AFB in '89-'90, and we went with. The RWD will probably become a hassle. Oh, and the months of darkness.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Maybe ask Shane a.k.a. Kodiak Kid. I do believe he spent some time there (in Alaska). He would prob. give you some good pointers....

Jay

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
you can also talk to shane (kodiak kid), he lived up there for awhile. good luck with the assignment, its supposed to be really nice up there from everything that i heard.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
block heater, 200# worth of sandbags, and good winter tires and you will be good to go in the winter.

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Litning said:
he was in Kodiak (hence the name) which is no where near fairbanks...
Which is true, however, I did fly for the Coast Guard which we flew all over alaska ;) Including fairbanks, unalaska, attu, chemya,barrow, etc.

A good block heater would help...Summers actually get up to the 70s-80s since you are in the interior. Winter months prepair to hibernate (Lotsa darkness, but not as bad as one would think). Driving a RWD car is no biggy. I drove both my birds up there with no problems...Just get some studded snow tires in the 205/70 size (claiming you still have 15" rims)

I would check and adjust your coolant to be good for at least -30. If you are unsure how to do it or feel uncomfortable, have a shop do it as soon as you get up there, since they do it all the time :) a remote start for the car is a good idea too...UNLESS you get lucky and have a heated garage like I did :D

Hope this helps...any more ?'s feel free to ask!

Shane

EDIT: tires like these are great...I had the good year version of studded winter tires, but these would prolly work too...seeing how the 2nd review was written by a guy w/ a TBird :) http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Winterforce&tireModel=M+S&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=07SR5WFORCE&fromCompare1=yes&place=2

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
What Shane said. Remember that thinner tires work better in those conditions than wider tires. You put more weight per sq.inch of tread which gives you much better grip than less weight over a wider area.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kodiak kid said:
A good block heater would help...Summers actually get up to the 70s-80s since you are in the interior. Winter months prepair to hibernate (Lotsa darkness, but not as bad as one would think). Driving a RWD car is no biggy. I drove both my birds up there with no problems...Just get some studded snow tires in the 205/70 size (claiming you still have 15" rims)

I would check and adjust your coolant to be good for at least -30. If you are unsure how to do it or feel uncomfortable, have a shop do it as soon as you get up there, since they do it all the time :) a remote start for the car is a good idea too...UNLESS you get lucky and have a heated garage like I did :D

Thank You Shane as well as everyone else I do have more questions such as a Block Heater I have been looking around and saw a few diffrent kinds such as one that heats and circulates(sp?) coolant another that goes in the frost plug on the side of the block and one that sticks to the oil pan so my question is... which one is better or do I need to get all of them also does the battery need something or is it ok cause does'nt the cold weather affect the battery?
I do have Remote Start on both my cars so I guess that helps but if there is anything else even if you think it is common sense please tel me cause I have never lived any where that they consider 65 deg. "hot weather".

Thanks
-Fabian

Edit- Forgot to mention we will be there for 3 yrs min. OK im going back into my closet to Cry some more :D

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
I would make sure you do a load test on your battery prior to going up there... last thing you need is for your battery to die on the way up there (it's a long drive)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Litning said:
I would make sure you do a load test on your battery prior to going up there... last thing you need is for your battery to die on the way up there (it's a long drive)

The car is going to be shipped there. I think I'm going to finally buy a new truck but I want to keep the Cougar other wise I keep the civic and sell the Cougar.and yes its a long drive especially since we are going to drive to California first and then drive up there.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Litning said:
it's a long drive
Jeez, it took us four days. That's a lot of downtime for a four year old...

Anyhow, I agree with everyone else: traction (tires and weight), battery, block heater, and coolant upgrades should be all you need.

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
as far as the drive..we drove from there to NC...5,xxx miles in 7 days...UGH! Also, the AL-CAN should be finished by now...When we drove here, they had 30 or so miles left to pave. A VERY VERY good idea would be to get the "Mile-post" from barnes & Nobles or your wifes unit may even have them. That will tell you EVERYTHING you could imagine about driving up there.

as far as the block heater, most of the people that I was friends with had the ones that circulate warm coolant throughout the engine. they are fairly strait forward. now, if you were going to barrow Alaska...Then I'd say get everything, but you wil be far from Barrow.

If the coug is getting shipped up there, I'd do the block heater, etc once you are there. Not everyone uses them...as long as your coolant is ok, you might be able to get away w/out one. just ask the locals once you are there.

Shane

·
Registered
208 Posts
my brother was just shipped back to ft. wainwright from iraq, he said it's as cold as a mofo!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts