TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked the Cougar up after an alignment, steering wheel is still angled way off.
The guy tells me after I bring it back he tried it 5 times but failed to mention this when I picked it up (of course)
If there is an issue with the rack and pinion would it cause it to go out of spec like that?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Picked the Cougar up after an alignment, steering wheel is still angled way off.
The guy tells me after I bring it back he tried it 5 times but failed to mention this when I picked it up (of course)
If there is an issue with the rack and pinion would it cause it to go out of spec like that?
Well, why did it go in for alignment in the first place? If the wheel is off that bad, something is either bent or the shop did a horrible job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the lower control arms last year, when I set the car down the wheels were off a bit so I messed with the tie rods, it popped a little while later and I messed with them again lol
Basically eyeballed the wheels but That was prob not a good idea
Tried to get an alignment but they didnt want to originally. They said I needed upper ball joints and showed me the play in the wheel. Got those in and fixed my swaybar linkages myself (ZERO bushings in those lol)
They did mention spring failure on the side it pulls to when im braking.. Could that also be a culprit for why it wouldnt stay in alignment?

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
It's hard to find a shop that will do a good alignment. I ran into similar with my Tbird, went back twice before they had someone else put it on the machine. After that it finally was going straight and the wheel was dead center. It might be a good idea to just take it someplace else.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,516 Posts
If you have a broken spring, yes the alignment is going to be a mess. The steering wheel not being centered is still a red flag though, that's just a matter of getting the tie rods adjusted uniformly(you could actually DIY fix this by marking the inners and counting the exact amount of turns and repeating on the other side, but they should do this)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The springs will be addressed in the near future, and if they cant get the steering a bit straighter then they would refund me..
Really bites my balls regardless lol

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I did the lower control arms last year, when I set the car down the wheels were off a bit so I messed with the tie rods, it popped a little while later and I messed with them again lol
First, WTF!?

There's a cam shaped deal that adjusts the alignment on the LCA; if you dink with that bolt, you have to have an alignment. I've done this a bunch, and never got it close myself.

If you adjust the tie rods, it will not really help the misalignment from the control arm displacement, just really, really **** it up for the guy you eventually take it to.
Having both of those changed changes the overall geometry of the suspension, much harder to fix.

Tell them every adjustment you've had loose, it will help.

Basically eyeballed the wheels but That was prob not a good idea
No, Not Really. The suspension changes under travel, and unless you do it right, it's just bad.
On a good note, when you get it right, you'll be Amazed how good it drives. :)

Tried to get an alignment but they didnt want to originally. They said I needed upper ball joints and showed me the play in the wheel. Got those in and fixed my swaybar linkages myself (ZERO bushings in those lol)
They won't align it if it has bad parts.

Every 7-8 years, in my case, these need new UCA, LCA, Sway bar links, and Strut rod bushings.
Then they feel new again.

They did mention spring failure on the side it pulls to when im braking.. Could that also be a culprit for why it wouldnt stay in alignment?
You have an unfixed broken spring and it pulls under braking; damn, dude. :facepalm:

Maybe cars aren't your thing?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The broken spring was news to me dude
Wasnt aware until yesterday...
Also I dont have the time or means to repair it myself so I have to rely on asshats who cant diagnose piss in a bucket.

Anyway that will be fixed asap now that im aware of the issue..
Fuckin pot holes!

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,516 Posts
First, WTF!?

There's a cam shaped deal that adjusts the alignment on the LCA; if you dink with that bolt, you have to have an alignment. I've done this a bunch, and never got it close myself.

If you adjust the tie rods, it will not really help the misalignment from the control arm displacement, just really, really **** it up for the guy you eventually take it to.
Having both of those changed changes the overall geometry of the suspension, much harder to fix.

Tell them every adjustment you've had loose, it will help.

No, Not Really. The suspension changes under travel, and unless you do it right, it's just bad.
On a good note, when you get it right, you'll be Amazed how good it drives. :)

They won't align it if it has bad parts.

Every 7-8 years, in my case, these need new UCA, LCA, Sway bar links, and Strut rod bushings.
Then they feel new again.

You have an unfixed broken spring and it pulls under braking; damn, dude. :facepalm:

Maybe cars aren't your thing?
I “eyeballed” my alignment with a bubble level, a 32nds ruler, a pair of set squares and piece of baseboard molding with hand drawn ruler lines on one end. I wasn’t far off on the before/after sheet the shop gave me! I blame my garage floor, I would have nailed it if it was level! :D

Some shops will refuse alignments if you disclose that you have aftermarket parts, in particular lowering springs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts