TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well some time ago i tinted my rear tail lights and all my windows. well after 6+ months have passed by i finnaly got pulled over by the po-po. So i got the usual fix-it ticket. Now for removing the tint off the front windows *back 3 are ok* i hear i just need to peel it off and use some goo-gone, or a razor blade. thats not that much of a problem. My problems are the tail lights. I put 2 coats of nite shades on them and maybe 2 coats of clear spray paint. How would i go by removing the tint off the tail lights? paint thinner? something else? I have 3+ months to take care of this *till april 16th* so its not that much of a problem to take it off imidietly *sp* but anyone got any tips? thanks in advance.

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
I heard laquer thinner is what most people use to remove it. If I were you though, I would buy another set of tail lights at a junkyard or from someone on here. That way you could swap the tail lights out, go to court and say it's fixed, then swap them back again. If you were getting pulled over every couple of weeks for it, then you should probably remove the tint completely, but if you'll get six months out of it before getting another ticket, might as well keep the tinted lights and just change them for court.

Mike

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
go buy a different pair of just the corner lenses, that arent tinted, put those in to get ur ticket taken away and then slap the tinted ones back on when ur finished:D

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i tinted all 4 tail lights and yes i know it sucks, but i dont want to put on a spare set then put my tinted ones back on then pay another fine. might as well get the tint off, i dont care.

paint thinner wont do it? or why is laquer bad for the plastic?

-Mike

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
Not that I have done this :rolleyes: If you have a cop friend see if he will sign off the fix-it ticket without you making to correction. The courts won't know you pay the $10 and they see a signed citation.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Just a note. I tried Goo Gone and everything that should work and nothing took my glue off my windows. I found that as long as it's warm out, in CA you should be fine on that part, lol. Get some ammonia and a razor blade. Should take it right off.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
They didn't say anything about your projectors? Seeing as you don't have high beams, one would think he would have got you for that as well.

-Kornhaus

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
scottkornhaus said:
They didn't say anything about your projectors? Seeing as you don't have high beams, one would think he would have got you for that as well.

-Kornhaus
he did say something about them, he did go up front to go see if they looked tinted as well as my taillights. he asked where i got the lights from, i said pepboys:tongue:

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Hehe. Ya, Windex w/amonia.
http://www.tintdude.com/remove.html

Reflectors too? I believe they don't have to be fixed legally. At least altezzas are legal if you have a red reflector. Taillights already are a red reflector if you fix them. Maybe have some stripes of red if you retint them. You know how Mercedes tail lights are? Have a long red stripe on bottom, shorter one above that, and shorter one above that, kinda in a triangle shape.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That sux man. I get pulled over every time i drive my car. I thought about pullin it off, but if they do give a ticket its just a $25 one you mail in an no worries.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
its not $25 in CA its $76 or $67 "bail" last I paid, it been probably 5 years though. For a period of time they were trying to make some "fix-it" a moving violation. I don't know what happened to that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts