TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, this trans has been worked over by Jerry and I am just cruising along today and all of the sudden it revs and shifts out of gear. Now I have no 3rd or 4th gear.
I have to go to manual 2nd to keep on moving, it overruns in 3rd and never really engages at all.

Is there a basic , Valve body, etc, issue that I can check before having it torn apart?

and yes it happens on the only weekend that I had planned a meeting with local MN12 folks and a show at the local road course.

Ideas???????

thx
rm

·
Registered
64 Posts
yes i have the same problem, if u turn od off then it should work fine, i have no money or job either so i have not been able to fix mine, i have been driving with 1st and 2nd gear now for atleast 3000 miles, so if u dont need to drive over 70 then it should last awhile, it sucks doing 45 and reving 3000rpms lol but it gets me were im goin not even gonna fix it, just gonna buy a TA when i get some money

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, OD switch has a slight effect, but its not quite that.
If I rev it up in Drive, it will eventually engage, but then it won't hold.
I am thinking that the shift solenoid is working, just no engagement.

And no, driving at 45 with 3.73 gears is not that nice. 4000 rpm around town will not be in my future.

rm

·
Registered
975 Posts
Jerry's tech article contains a lot of solutions to various transmission problems. You may want to check that. Also, the obvious, check your fluid. It doesn't sound like it's low, but you never know, and you may see metal dust in it letting you know you're screwed.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Richard, It's gotta be something related to the direct clutch... you might get lucky and find that a valve in the VB is stuck, but it sounds like the seal rings arent working. Im sure if Jerry looked at it the clutches should be strong enough. You can ask him if he knows anything beyond that, but the forecast doesnt look good to me.

Tom

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
It could also be the intermediate one-way clutch, or even the shift solinoids (can't remember which, possibly #2).

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the pan is clean.
Just the fine coating of dark material, the magnet has a heavy coating of it.
fluid is not smelly of burnt and is actually pretty red, not brownish at all.

Going to check resistance of SS2 and go from there.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
If SS2 falied OFF, wouldnt the car just be stuck in 1st and 2nd gears and unable to upshift? The solenoids are easy enough to check, so it couldnt hurt.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2-3 accumulator piston is missing a chunk of rubber,
that should take care of it

rm

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
wow, that's lucky. I've never heard of the newer ones having any problems. See anything in there that would have caused it?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, putting the new one in, I could tell you could damage it if not careful.
Pinned it all back together and still not shifting.
I think the loose particles must be lodged in the valve body. I should have taken the time to dissassemble it, but I really needed to finish to make another appointment. May take the valve body out again and do that tomorrow.

·
Registered
323 Posts
mine lost 3rd and od the other day also. mine is in the shop right now getting fixed.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Intermediate one way clutch broke.
OD band is worn out as well as some clutch plates.

Build is done and car is back.

On a side note, rear main seal was not sealing due to lip seal spring getting out of its groove. New one is in, no more leak. yeah

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
You didn't have the mech. diode in there? I've never heard of one of the good ones breaking.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It was a mechanical diode.
Asked the tech about it, he has seen a number of them fail.

And with the new 2-3 piston the 2-3 is pretty stiff now.

rm

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Damn, that sucks about your car RM. Glad you got it back.
Where'd you end up getting the work done? You guys went out to Sandia ? (SMS)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its better now.
No SMS show though, that was the worst part.
I will be running street class at thisweekend's ABQ dragway .
Test n tune Friday and racing Saturday.

Got it all ready to go basically.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem in my 94 Mustang GT. It wont shift 3rd or 4th at all. I had no problems before i installed new tc and transgo shift-kit ( I heard about Jmod after i installed the shift-kit...) I have engine braking in manual 2nd so what could cause the problem? Please help, my hands are turning red because of the ATF :bangwall:

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I just read this thread the first thing I was thinking when you said it would engage but not hold was something in the 2-3 accumulator. As far as the diodes go I have seen a number of failures from them as well. I would have to assume there was a bad batch. When I came across 97/98 trucks mostly we would see the diodes broken if they had it. But still they break less than the roller clutch setups.

Melbac I would assume you have a problem in the 2-3 accumulator as well. If the bottlecap is out of place you will lose 3rd and 4th
Alan

1 - 20 of 36 Posts